My Secret: It’s Goo Related

Raise your hand if you think I’m anal.

(I’ll pause while you do that).

Well, I probably am. I’m definitely type A. But I think there might be a misconception that our house gleams and the faucets are always shined and there aren’t any toothpaste splatters on the mirrors. Yeah right, I wish. We tried to disprove the whole perfect thing with this video (yes, we leave clothes on the floor and mail in a pile like the rest of the population- haha) and it seemed like the masses were relieved.

We’re human I promise (although I’m pretty sure if I weren’t human I’d pretend that I was for assimilation purposes), and my dirty goo-related secret might just prove that once and for all (prove that I’m human, not prove that I’m an assimilating robot). Check out this lamp – from Linens N Things back in the day – that I’ve had for over four years. That’s more than 1,460 days. Yup, that’s the sticky rectangle left by the clearance tag that was on there when I got it. Yes, the goo is practically an antique. I’ve just never scrubbed it off.

Same with the back of the ceramic container (from Target) from at least two years ago that we use to hold our serving and cooking utensils. I just turn the container sticky-side-back so it faces the wall and go on my merry way.

Of course outing myself makes me feel like I should remedy these two sticky situations (my mom does occasionally skim the blog- hi ma!), so with a little bit of soap (Dr. Bronners if you’re wondering, the almond kind) and some water I’m off to get my scrub on. Let’s hope in ten minutes I’ll be singing “ding dong, the goo is gone.” I have to admit that I’m worried that it might be a bit rough to remove thanks to years of dormancy. So that’s what I’m up to this afternoon (along with continued console bid-ness and some post writing). Whew, outing my sticky secret feels kind of good. I can’t be alone in this can I? Please tell me someone else out there just rotates things so the “flaws” face the wall.

Wow- that is a fascinating idea! Too bad we don’t have dryer sheets (haha). I’ll have to call my BFF and have her try it on something sticky at her house for research purposes!

• Donita says

On glass you can use nail polish remover and a cotton ball. On other surfaces *and glass* rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. Both work great!!!

1. lisa says

i looooove dr. bronner’s soaps and satrted buying it/using it because of you guys…
    i clean our counters with it…the smell is soooo ncie and clean and makes the counters sparkle.:)

• Elisa says

Is it the Sal Suds that you use to clean the counters? I thought there was only hand/body soap until I looked at the website…

2. Julie says

I totally just ignore things like that until they magically go away (or I forget about them). However, that goo gone stuff is pretty awesome for sticker leftovers. =)

• Ayelet says

I was sure I wouldn’t be the first one to suggest it, but truly, invest in some goo gone, and save yourself some trouble. I’m pretty sure it’s a fairly natural product (I think the main ingredient is citrus oil). Also, it will last you forever–I’ve had the same bottle for years and have barely made a dent.

3. Samm says

I just laughed out loud at the first line of this post… Sounds like something I would totally say…hahaha but on another not, Love y’all ideas!

4. Nicole says

I have a pre-arranged flower arrangement I got at Homegoods for 75% off b/c it had some flowers missing – so I just turned it around so that it was hiding! I love it and people never ever notice…no harm in that right? :)

5. rosie-b says

I do that all the time :) BTW put a little oil (veggie, wd40, or whatever) on the sticky parts and leave it for a few minutes. A lot of glues are oil-based so it dissolves a bit and should wipe right off. Wash with soap and water and you’re done!

6. kim b says

Not just goo. But I’ll buy something really cheep on sale because it has a flaw/ imperfection or chip and will hide it “wall side”. I feel like I’ve just confessed all my dirty little secrets, you guys won’t tell right!

Just had to say I love you. Ok, I don’t “KNOW” you but I love our site. We’re re-doing a ton in our old farm house we bough last year and I have GOOEY things EVERYWHERE.

Plus we need a new couch, we’re painting our brick fireplace and starting a garden. All of which I know NOTHING about.

So thank you. That is all. Just thank you. :-)

8. Samm says

Oh… And goo-gone is the #1 way to get those sticky things off…. Seriously just spray it, wait for like 2-3 min, and wipe off with a paper towel. Easy as pie! And about $3 at Hobby Lobby. Well worth it and it will last you a good long while. Good luck!

9. Rachel says

Have you ever tried Goo Gone? I always call goo-be-gone (it sounds so much better in my head). I discovered it through my hubby who uses it for car related stuff, but have found it works great around the house too. Plus, it’s made with all natural ingredients, won’t harm the environment and also can be used on fabrics, carpet, plastics, etc. (ok totally sound like a bad infomercial now) While I’m all about elbow grease, it makes my life easier.

10. Jae says

At least you take time to remove the tag. Not only do I turn the sticky to the wall, in some instances, the tag is still attached. And occasionally not rotated to the wall. It’s one of the few “non-type a” allowances in my life. Drives my family nuts.

I hate that goo stuff. Can’t they make tags that don’t do that? Seems like someone should be able to come up with something better. I have a razor that I go after things like that, to better success on some projects than others. And I would totally join you in just turning the items to the wall so no one sees them…

OMG, I bought an octagonal spaghetti jar and was trying to remove the sticker. Tried oil, peanut butter, soap and water – finally moved up and on to the razor. Put on my dishwashing gloves for a good grip and started scraping. Slipped a bit and noticed that the razor corner put a slit in the glove. Kept right on scraping and soon that goo was G-O-N-E for good! Pulled off my right glove and then my left. And (warning: grossness ahead!) blood spurted up and over my shoulder and hit the wall! Clamped down on it with the towel and went to the ER when it wouldn’t stop bleeding. Needed 2 stitches, but the ER guy wouldn’t put them in until I spoke with “another doctor.” He was sent in to see if it was a possible suicide attempt since the slit was right on my left wrist! Once I went through the whole story about the octagonal jar, the oil, the peanut butter, he was convinced. He said if I’d been trying to kill myself I probably would never have been able to tell him that story in such detail… All to remove some goo – now I just leave the goo there, rotate the jar, and hide the sticker residue. (Or I leave the paint spatter on the lamps I hate anyway… Or I cover the holes in the plaster with another picture…)

If the sticker is on your car paint, you can use a hairdryer (may want to use an extension cord). It will heat up the sticker and its super easy to peel off then.

• diana says

When it’s really stuborn, I pass it in the dishwasher and when it’s finished and the jar is still very hot, I try again all the methods. Sometimes it goes away with just the washing programe.

Krys, that’s halucinating! So sorry for you!