Reader Redesign: Another Fun DIY Headboard

You know nothing makes us happier than some good ol’ DIY. Here’s Elizabeth’s letter:

If you can believe it, I’ve recently tackled a headboard project since becoming a mom seven months ago. I have to thank you for your wonderful tutorials because they have given me a lot of direction to get many things done! I wanted to share this particular makeover with you since I made a headboard inspired by your tutorial. Our bed definitely needed one!

I purchased a piece of plywood and had it cut to an 82″ length at Lowe’s. Once home, I traced my free-handed design on it and used a jig-saw to cut it out. This was my first time using a jig-saw and it was surprisingly easy. From there, I used some spray adhesive to adhere 2″ foam that I had cut. Then I simply covered it with fabric and I really love how it turned out!

Anyway, hope you like it! Thanks for all the inspiration and tips! – Elizabeth

Didn’t Elizabeth do a great job- especially since it was her first time slinging a jig-saw?! You can read more about her big headboard project on her blog. Anyone else out there ready to try something similar?

1. Rachel says

Wow, she did a great job! When we can afford a king size mattress, we’re going to make the modern bed with chunky feet on Knock-Off Wood (from West Elm), but we’re going to do it upholstered (like their nailhead bed). I hadn’t thought of doing a shaped headboard with a jigsaw, but that’s a great idea!

This headboard looks fantastic, especially with the throw pillows. I’ve been toying with the idea of making a headboard for a long time. Maybe this is just the inspiration I need.

I also love those bedside lamps. Maybe Elizabeth would be kind enough to tell us where she got them.

We have a king size bed in our master bedroom that was an addition to the original house (before we purchased it). The ceiling is slanted so I’m hesitant to add either a headboard or a piece of artwork above it as I think it might just put a focus on the lowered ceiling. Any suggestions? I love the headboard ideas!

Hey Amy,

The best way to take the focus off of the slanted ceiling is to paint it the same color as the walls (assuming they’re pretty light so it doesn’t feel dark and closed in). That will really blur the line between wall and ceiling, making a headboard or art above the bed something you can add!

4. Patti says

Nice job and I love the pillow choices! I have a twin bed in my spare room that needs a headboard. You just gave me a great idea!

By the way, I wanted to share a tip I heard recently on HGTV that helped me…to make the bed stand out and pop in your room, raise it up a few inches. I did this in my bedroom. So simple but effective!

Love the shape of this headboard! I really need to make my own one of these days, but I don’t have a jig saw (alas!).

Speaking of pillows from your earlier post, I love hers! Can you post where they are from?

6. Nancy Carolan says

Kudos to Elizabeth!!! GREAT job!!! Sometimes the hardest part of the job is just working up enough nerve to start! May things in life are a lot easier than they seem….you just have to have the nerve to try.

Great job Elizabeth! The headboard tutorial is definatly something I want to try as this summers DIY projects.. Love love love your style :)