Budget Blooms: April Greenery

As most of you know, every month we like to enjoy one inexpensive- and sometimes free- bouquet to keep things feeling fresh around here (the idea actually stemmed from a super sweet Christmas present from the hubs a while back). But this month I just had to deviate from the plan when I saw this adorable leafy little guy complete with his own shiny turquoise ceramic pot for- get this- $2.50 from Walmart. Ringing in just as cheap (if not cheaper) than most of our monthly grocery store bouquets, I love that this splash of foliage livens up my desk and even comes with its own vase of sorts (well, planter) that I can use over and over again… even if my leafy friend ends up kicking the figurative bucket.

So far so good though. He’s a low light house plant (which is nice for the right side of my desk that gets only partial sunlight) and I especially love how he looks next to my shiny pink Crate & Barrel vase (who is no stranger to our monthly bouquets so you guys may even recognize her). And yes I did get a bit sexist there by calling the blue potted plant “him” and the pink vase “her”- sorry for that. We of all people know that blue can totally work for the ladies (since it’s one of the main colors in our daughter-to-be’s room) and John has even been known to sport something pink from time to time.

Anyway, that’s our monthly dose of greenery. We definitely recommend keeping an eye out for cheap potted plants these days, especially those that come in charming little ceramic pots as opposed to those cheap-o plastic ones. Heck, even those aren’t too bad if you grab a crisp white $1 ceramic planter from Ikea. So there’s more than one way to get your fill of lovely leafy goodness.

What are you guys gravitating towards in the floral arrangement or potted plant department these days? Any deals out there to be found? Anyone snipping things from their own backyard? We had some lovely cherry blossoms on a tree out front but decided to leave them outside just in case they tried to kill me once they were invited indoors (silly allergies, although this year they’re much much better than usual). Anyone toting home those super affordable daffodil bouquets from Trader Joe’s? Let’s talk about the flowers and plants that you’ve been inviting inside.

1. Laury says

We live in the Northside of the City, so we went allEy hunting one day for some forsythia. That stuff is all over the place! We put all of it in different vases and placed them in pretty much every room of the house. Such a cheerful yellow :-)

2. Patti says

I have a beautiful peace lily plant that still flowers (after 9 years!) and from time to time I snip a few of its big lovely green leaves to show off in a plain white vase. It’s simple and looks very nice!

I love how different plants have different needs in different parts of the country. You little desk plant that requires indirect light is my full sun hedge here near Miami! A tiny houseplant I had in North Carolina got planted in my front yard here and is now 15 feet tall. I always enjoy your bargain greenery posts, but this one was especially cool.

4. KimB says

I just bought a few tiny succulents and lined them up along the kitchen windowsill. I love how they are easy to take care of. Oh, and I like Patti’s idea to snip the leaf of the peace lily to display in a vase. I have an old peace lily too, but never thought of that!

5. johnna says

Sooo cute! Totally going to Walkmart to copy your idea!!! LOL!

PS – what happened to Hamurger’s House?!

I have 2 green plants in lime green containers just like that from Wally World last year! They are by the windows in my classroom and are totally thriving several months later!

You’re crazy observant Jamie! We actually got it back when we switched URLs in the summer, but you’re right, the white laptop is usually pictured.

They’re not as thrifty, but our Whole Foods has had some beautiful ranunculus bunches for a few weeks now. They come in lots of fun colors, but I’m partial to the white. They were totally worth a little splurge for me (I can’t remember exactly, but I’m thinking $8-ish). Trimming the ends a couple times and adding fresh water made them last a lot longer than I’d expected.

I’ve been attemping to keep some Lowe’s potted plants in my dining room, and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but it hasn’t gone so well for me thus far. I think I need some practice!

Good choice! I have a schefflera in a white flowerpot in my bathroom to hide the crooked, ugly intersection of the vanity and the wall/corner. It’s happy there, and I love having a green plant in my bathroom.

I always check out the onsale flowers at Kroger. There are always some nice bunches for under $5 and even some for $1. I’ll mix and match to get the look I want and I just reuse all those glass vases you get when someone sends you flowers.

10. Wendy says

Oh, Sherry, that little plant is soooooooooo non-green thumb friendly! It’ll grow as large as the container you keep it in and it’s incredibly hard to kill. I even put mine out on my deck in the summer one year and burned it to a brown crisp, but I brought it back inside, pruned it down to about an inch, and it grew back to a shrub within a couple of months. You’ll love it.

I’m excited to get back to Ikea to see if they’ve brought back the ponytail palms this spring. I have one sitting on my desk here at work and it’s so crazy. A real attention getter!