Hot Off The Presses: Southern Flourish

When we heard from the editors of this up and coming online mag that’s geared towards living it up in style in the south (think Lonny meets Southern Living) we couldn’t wait to see the premier issue. And when they actually explained that they wanted us to BE in the premier issue… well, let’s just say lots of dorky high-fiving ensued.

They went on to tell us that Southern Flourish will have a reoccurring column called “Our Favorite Room” and they wanted us to introduce that feature by dishing about which room in our house is our absolute fave and why. How did they know that’s totally our idea of a good time? Seriously, we had so much fun contributing to the inaugural issue and we love the entire finished product (we clicked through it voraciously from cover to cover).

You can read our article which is embedded below (just click the little arrow on the right to turn the page, and click on the mag to enlarge it):

We definitely love their goal to keep things fresh and young and fun (which aren’t always words that people associate with the good ol’ south) and we can’t wait to see how their mag grows and, well, flourishes.

So we’re sending out a giant virtual thank you to everyone over at Southern Flourish for the amazing opportunity to be a part of their very first issue. And it’s only going to get better (they plan to add more links to things right in the copy, so you can see the price and even purchase more items that you like as you flip through). With lots of great printed publications disappearing left and right it’s always encouraging to see online content popping up. Plus they’re gloriously and amazingly F-R-E-E! Which makes them candy for a magazine loving girl like me. Seriously, I can pop them like M&Ms.

Oh and while we’re on the subject of our favorite room, we’d love to hear what space in your home is your fave. Is it your bedroom because it’s so peaceful and clutter free? Your kitchen because it’s where everyone gathers? Your family room because it’s casual and cozy? Spill it.

1. Kate says

I’m not a huge fan of any rooms in our apartment (I’m working on getting to a point where I like them), but I think I like our living room the best. It’s where we spend most of out time, so I’ve done my best to make it functional and cozy with a little bit of decorative stuff.

Congrats on another magazine feature! Hey… Did they horizontally flip one of the photos in Photoshop or something? It’s messing with my head because one photo of the desk has the window on the right and the other shows it to the left. Wacky!
    Our living room is our favorite room because it’s so bright. We have 7 windows in there! And the fireplace makes it extra cozy in the cold winters.

Yes they totally flipped the photo of my desk and the top of the mudroom on the second page (probably to help it better fit into the layout). It played with our minds a bit too because we’re in there all the time and we kept staring at the page and thinking “so that’s what it would look like on the other side of the house!”- haha.

3. amelia says

wow – what a great little magazine – i just went through it page by page and love it! and its free! BONUS ;-)

4. VéroniQC says

Congrats guys! :) I saw your ”mudroom” too in a Better Homes and Gardens SIP recently… I told my husband while I was reading: ”Hey, I know the owners!”lol
    My favorite room is our bathroom (you guys saw pictures of it a couple months ago ;)), I just love it!
    I also love my bedroom and our guest room…
    Those 3 rooms are the only ones finished in our house so that’s probably why they are my favorites so far…
    But I still think the bathroom will be #1 when the whole remodel is complete.

5. Kris says

Great feature and awesome that this magazine is FREE! It made me realize that I do not have one offical color scheme or “theme” for our new home. There are so many different styles that I like–how can I decide on just one?! Is it OK to have more than one style in your home? How did yall figure out what you wanted your house to look like when there are so many wonderful things out there?

Hey Kris,

There’s really no right answer to your question. You just have to decorate your home in a way that makes you happy! We suggest ripping out magazine images that inspire you and seeing if a lot of them have a common thread that will make your house feel cohesive if you embrace those commonalities (even if some rooms feel a bit more of one style than the other, having some common colors or furnishings throughout your home will make it feel super tied together). Here’s a post all about it:

Hope it helps!

6. Lauren says

Congrats! My favorite room in our house is our “formal” living/dining room, even though it’s not too formal. It started out as a hodge podge of randomness, but we’ve added a lot of furniture and decor and now it really reflects both our styles.

Congrats! I saw you both in it earlier this morning and was so excited – I thought maybe you weren’t going to share the news! I’m glad we all get to comment and tell you how proud we are and excited for you!

Congrats! How awesome to be in the premiere issue and I totally want a subscription to this magazine. It is fantastic!!!

My favorite room is my kitchen, but my bedroom is a close second. The built in’s in the closet from the previous homeowners are amazing. Also, as I found out from opening the windows for the first time in our bedroom since we moved in, we have a killer cross breeze coming through there that is going to be amazing for sleeping in a couple of months. The family room might take the cake as soon as I get it painted in April though. :)

Congrats again! I love your blog.

9. Lily says

Congratulations guys!! What an awesome magazine!! Although it is obviously a mag from the USA I will be keeping an eye on it down here in lil ol’ Australia!! I loved the fresh and bright layout and your article was super cute!! Will def be reading more of Southern Flourish!!

Lily :)

10. Kristin says

My favourite room is the kitchen – we redid it last year and chose white cabinets, funny green laminate countertops and stainless steel equipment.
    I have got a question for you I wanted to ask before, but always forgot. One of the pictures in the magazine reminded me. Are your textured rugs comfortable when walking on them barefoot? We thought about buying a nicely textured jute or sisal rug, but are afraid that it might be too rough for bare feet.
    Thank you!

Oh yes, we definitely live barefoot 95% of the time when we’re at home, and jute rugs just feel like you’re in a hut in Bali. Not too pokey and abrasive, but definitely not smooth. Kind of like walking on a sandy beach. Hope it helps!