And Now A Letter To Ikea

Dearest Ikea,

We love you. We really do. But yesterday you exploited that relationship and I just can’t bite my tongue this time. Just because “some assembly required” is one of the terms of our relationship, it does not mean that we want to put together every single thing that we buy from you. This means you Kassett storage box.

Sure, putting together your furniture is often part of the Ikea fun. Not only do we gain an affordable and stylish item for our home, but it comes with a guaranteed sense of accomplishment. But there’s no pride in having to assemble my own cardboard box. None at all. Need I remind you that an item like this comes free (and fully assembled!) with the purchase of simple things like shoes and cereal? So why must each of yours require multi-page instructions, a dozen screws and 15 minutes of my life that I’ll never get back?

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate a break from all that allen wrench action. But having to punch out 24 holes by hand was a bit ridiculous. You even went as far as to perforate the holes, but stopped short of removing them completely. Really? Or was that a bonus gift. I get a storage box AND complimentary confetti?

In summary, it took me nearly an hour (and 48 screws!) to put together the four Kassett boxes that we bought this weekend. That’s more time than it took me to assemble the Expedit bookcase that houses them. They do look pretty darn good in the end. And I can’t complain about the $6/box price tag. But please, charge me the extra buck or two that it takes you to ship a pre-assembled box (I know shipping things flat saves me money, but a flat bookcase or bed is a lot more of a space saver than a 11.5″ box). I’m begging you. Help me help you help me. And I’m sure that loving feeling will come a-floodin’ right back.

Sincerely, John Petersik

PS:  Thank goodness the top of the box came pre-assembled. That, my friend, could’ve really been a deal breaker.

Comments

1. Hanna says

I’m so excited to see how the basement looks with ‘stuff’ in it! I’ve been checking the blog practically every half hour since Monday! I decided I’m going to get the Expedit desk as a gift to myself since my birthday is next week!

2. Heather H says

Great post! You really nailed this one. I have 4 of these boxes myself and could not believe how tedious it was to put them together. I won’t be buying another one again, it’ll be worth it to spend extra money. Personally I think they are kind of flimsy too, even for paper storage which is what i use them for.

amen! AMEN.

i normally don’t mind the assembly, but it can get ridiculous (which is sometimes the bonus of finding a properly put together ikea item on craigslist). when you add that to the shopping experience ( http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com/2009/11/ikea-post-continues.html ), plus the shaky quality of products, sometimes ikea just isn’t worth it.

then again, i like a lot of their smaller items, and i’m a sucker for their ice cream cones…

kelly

This gave me a really good laugh right here at my desk, my mind instantly went back to stupid little allen wrenches, small bits of cursing, and some blood drawn all in the name of some assembly required. I have to say though, that I am suprised about a box needing to be assembled, this is something I will remember.

5. Heather W. says

I’ve totally been there. I also own four of those boxes, and I believe that it took me two days to get them done (after doing two of them, I gave up for another day).

I wish I would have taken a picture of the blister I got on my index finger from trying to twist those thiny nut/bolt things together. :-)

Congrats on getting it done, though! You deserve some ice cream or something for all that hard work!

Um, Heather W, do you have a camera in our kitchen? Because I most certainly treated myself to some ice cream last night after assembling these boxes (and the Anebodas that we’ll show off later today). You know me too well.

-John

6. Maria says

This is making me laugh because I actually bought four of these boxes on Monday to put on our new Billy bookshelves, and I said the same things…”Thank goodness the lid is assembled!” and “Seriously?? They go to the trouble of perforating the holes, but not fully punching them out, just so I can have sore fingertips.” No joke, my husband had the two bookshelves assembled in almost the same amount of time it took me to do the boxes.

7. Jen says

Hahaha, you crack me up! Thank you for speaking on behalf of many fellow sore fingered Kassett assemblers. I feel your pain as I just spent the same amount of torturous time piecing together four for my kiddos room. ISH! It was pretty ridiculous…

8. Christa M says

And they look marvelous! Great Job! Can’t wait to see the finished storage room, because so far so good!
    PLEASE don’t ever delete this blog….when I finally buy a house, I plan to buy a semi-fixer-upper and I have full intention of coming here for all of the help and inspiration I most likely will need. I am DYING to paint old cabinets! Just need the old cabinets :)

Amen brotha. My thumbs are screaming at me for subjecting them to so much allen wrenching. Not that I can complain, for my efforts were at least for a couple of nightstands and not some cardboard boxes…

But they do look very very cute all finished like that. Props to you guys for having stylish EVERYTHING.

CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOUR BASEMENT!!!!!

Oh, and I feel the same way about assembling EVERYTHING from West Elm (as alas, we do not have an IKEA anywhere near Kansas City)- I honestly would be fine with paying a little bit extra to have someone come and assemble it for me. But cardboard box assembly?!?!?! That’s taking it a bit far…..

i just read this out loud to my husband and he echoes every word. he had to put these together for our office and was cursing Ikea all along the way. :)

12. amy says

About a month ago we bought a ton of Kassett boxes for DVD storage on a bookcase, important paper boxes for the closet, etc. Husband was not happy with the 2 hours it took to put them together for a simple box. But, the kitty liked the confetti, and getting in them when they were complete.

13. Kristin says

I too just bought those boxes (also in white and green) and I couldn’t agree more – popping out all those holes got pretty old after awhile! They look great on your shelf :)