My Favorite Handheld Vacuum Ever

When it comes to our cleaning routine, we get a surprising amount of inquiries about how we keep house. Well, allow me to introduce my bff when it comes to tidying up. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Dirt Devil Kurv:

No this is not a paid endorsement. Nor did Dirt Devil send me one for free. I paid for one just like the rest of the world, and let me tell you that it was the best money I ever spent.

See, before the Kurv came into my life I spent about an hour a week feebly cleaning up crumbs in the kitchen and dust bunnies on the hardwood/tile floors of each of our nine rooms. My three failing methods were these: a dustpan (crumbs and dust flew everywhere but were never all collected),  a vaccuum cleaner (far to bulky to maneuver easily and plugging it in everywhere I went was a drag so it took forever and scared the bejeesus out of the dog), and a swiffer duster pad (great for grabbing dust at first but they so frequently need to be replaced once they’ve maxed out in the dust-grabbing department that I easily went through ten to clean the whole house- what a waste!).

And then this baby came to live with us. Now I can un-crumb and de-dust our entire home in less than five minutes. I am not exaggerating. It’s probably closer to three minutes actually. Say someone’s on their way over but there’s hair on the bathroom floor. No problemo. In the time that it takes your forthcoming friend to arrive you can clean the whole house instead of spending five minutes trying to pick up those aforementioned bathroom floor hairs with your fingers.

The power suckage, cordless design, and long skinny nose get into every corner and cranny- I can even slide it along the base of the kitchen cabinets in a second (where all those crumbs hide under the cabinet lip). I simply walk through the house aiming the nose at each corner, along the baseboards, under the table, etc. And with one pass dust is hasta la vista, baby. It’s even great for sucking up little fern leaves that my plants decide to drop when they’re done with ’em. And things like heavy duty kitchen crumbs are no match for this stronger-than-most-real-vacuum-cleaners contraption. And this is coming from someone who always had a dustbuster laying around and hated the thing more than the vacuum. The Kurv is not a dustbuster, it is a godsend.

So for anyone with hardwood and tile floors looking for something a bit less cumbersome than a vacuum and a bit more thorough than a swiffer duster pad or a dustpan, feel free to court the Kurv. If you don’t wanna marry him I’ll be seriously surprised. Of course we still rely on our vacuum for the area rugs throughout the house, and give the wood floors a good scrub every few months. But for maintenance there’s really nothing like the Kurv.

Oh and although it’s hardly ugly, it isn’t really pretty either. So we don’t buy into the whole “it’s like sculpture, have it on display” suggestion. Ours charges behind our white armchair in the den, so no one’s the wiser but it’s always on hand. The only thing we’d change would be the capacity (it does need to be emptied with each use- but that’s not the biggest deal considering I could empty it about a hundred times in the time it saves me when it comes to cleaning).

And while we’re on the subject, I thought I’d ask you guys for your favorite cleaning tips and tricks. Has any product or technique improved your routine so majorly that you want to shout it from the rooftops? I’m definitely looking for more shortcuts in this whole housekeeping game, so by all means feel free to come clean.

Product shot from

1. heather s. says

I’ve never tried this one – I rely on my dustbuster for quick cleanups (particularily in the bathroom!). I do like that it appears to have a smaller nose to it so I may have to give it a try. I’m a slave to my Dyson – love it.

2. Aimee says

I got the Dirt Devil “Cone” a few years ago (same exact thing, just a different shape) and I LOVE IT!!! I completely agree with you – best thing ever made, and it works great!!

3. CWB says

ditto on the dyson–we love ours so much we got it a little brother: amazon had the DC16 Root 6 (whatever THAT name means) refurbished for about half the price of a new one. it lives on the wall next to our laundry machines and is utterly brilliant for broken glass, dust “puppies,” those annoying bits of styrofoam that fly out when you get new home stuff, etc., etc.

4. Bethany says

So, I assume you still Swiffer/sweep for the large floor areas, and use this for corners/cabinets/little touch ups? It looks like the nose is way too small to effectively use it to do the bulk of vacuuming that needs to be done. I’m just curious – I too feel like I spend an inordinate amount of time fighting crumbs and dust in our hardwood apartment! I’d love anything to make the process easier.

• YoungHouseLove says

Cool beans! We didn’t even know it was on today. How funny! $20 for a brand new one is a steal.

And Bethany, you’re right to assume this works best in corners, under tables and cabinets, etc. We still do the big areas either with our vacuum (which is sadly not a Dyson) or the swiffer, but for “maintenance” between the more major clean ups it’s truly amazing and leaves the whole house looking spic n’ span in no time flat. Hope it helps!

5. Jessy says

Today’s woot has this item for $19.99 plus a flat fee of $5 for shipping. I was thinking of getting one, but I didn’t know anyone who owned one. Thank you for posting this – I am taking the plunge! I’ve been using my Dyson Slim (also purchased from woot) for the smallest of tasks (like the bathroom hairs) – such a pain for such a small chore. I love woot!

My relationship with my dustbuster is touch and go…seems like lately the power capacity has deminished. Maybe a Kurv-y lady will be just the ticket! btw – Could you post a photo on your house tour tab of your guest bedroom with the new lamp? I have been trying to guesstimate scale for bedside table lamps and wanted to use that as a reference :)

p.s. remote salizar is too funny! my mom has a garden with a peter pe-trellis in it :)

7. amarie says

Well, I have just one thing to possible top the Kurv…and that is the Electrolux Ergorapido.
    This was a little pricey for a hard surface floor vac, but it is awesome, and very well worth the price. I can quickly run the cordless vac all over the house without hurting my back to bend over, and then the handheld portion pulls out to do counters, etc. It looks nice too.
    I can’t say enough about it!

• Lena says

Im rather disappointed with it. Im from Europe and i thought Elecrolux is the best thing in the whole world, but after a while it stopped sucking good and is pretty much useless right now. Also sometimes when you vacuum it spits out crumbs and other solid pieces :( I honestly would recommend investing into smth decent like dyson. Yes it expensive but man does it suck! We got a city version. Its very nice and compact! Cleaning hardwood floors is a piece of cake now! but make sure you have a right attachment, because I believe some of them do not come with the hard wood floor attachment.

8. Lindsay says

Dyson is fabulous! We have animal version to clean up after our dog and two long haired cats… I’m liking the idea of one of these Kurvs for small stuff!

I was going to sing the priase of the Electrolux Ergorapido, but Amarie beat me to it. After we moved from a smallish flat to a larger, three-story house, the Ergorapido has been priceless!

We received the same little guy for Christmas. I adore it. It’s so convenient and really does a great job. And, while I don’t consider it sculptural, I don’t mind it if someone sees it. It’s not as ugly as my huge vacuum.

I know that “chores” for kiddos are going out of fashion (not in my house, though!!), but I just had to say that we have a similar contraption and my 4year old and 6 year old get the biggest THRILL out of using them. It hasn’t worn off, either :) My kids have loved using vacuuming gadgets for over 4 years now!!! What a fun way to incorporate the kiddos into the housework :) I think it really gives them a sense of responsibility that they love when they are little.

Great post!!!

12. Brandi H. says

I will triple the praise of the Electrolux Egro…thingy. I have one and it is such a blessing. I recently had hardwood installed and this was the answer I was looking for!! Definitely recommend. No bending over, plus a littl hand held pops out of the base of it, for really hard to reach areas. Would love a Dyson someday!!