A Soft Pink Ceiling

We did it! We can put three big ol’ check marks next to “paint the walls” and “paint the closet” and “paint the ceiling” in Clara’s room. It was definitely a bit of a painting marathon, but how sweet is the soft pink up there on the ceiling? It’s Pink Cadillac by Benjamin Moore in their eggshell finish. In some of these photos it’s pretty subtle, but in person it’s soft-but-noticeable – so while it’s not the entire room’s focal point, it’s a fun layered detail in the room. We thought clean white walls would complement the fun ceiling color without fighting too much with all of the color and pattern in things like the rug/pillows/curtains, so we went with Simply White in eggshell by BM, which is also what we use for trim and doors in a glossier finish.

We also used some leftover ceiling paint in the closet, just to add something in there too. Someday I want to add a built-in bench in there and I even think about doing something interesting to the slanted ceiling (little cedar roofing shakes could bring out that “indoor playhouse” vibe – and maybe even some playful wallpaper on the back wall could be fun).

Oh and you’ll notice that the rug and the curtains from the living room have migrated up here. Clara’s pink rug was shedding like a maniac (the new hardwoods made the giant pink tumbleweeds especially noticeable) and Clara loves playing on this blue rug (she pretends the light blue parts are the ocean for her toys/dolls) so we rolled it out up here to see how we liked it. When we plopped everything down after moving we figured a bunch of things would find their way around the house, so it’s fun to see things making the rounds, and now this woven rug is in the living room – although the jury’s still out on whether we like it there for the long haul.

But let’s rewind to the room all prepped (we moved everything into the center and covered it with a few plastic dropcloths). Remember those old stripey walls from spraying the doors before we installed the hardwood floors? Well, we decided we didn’t want that primer/paint “flashing” (meaning that it could show through the paint if we didn’t prime) so we took a minute to prime just the areas that we worried about that happening.

Here’s that area all primed along with the ceiling painted (we painted the ceiling first, then moved on to priming just select areas of the walls where we worried about bleed or flashing).

Then we broke out the white paint for the walls. I grabbed this shot so you can see the difference between the yellowed old wall paint, the cooler toned primer, and the Simply White wall color.

Of course we’re still missing a bunch of things on the wall, like something I’m halfway through sewing for over Clara’s bed (COUGHcanopyCOUGH) so I can’t wait to get that done and hung – along with some other art and eventually a light fixture that we’d love to add too. But it’s already a huge improvement not to have the old yellowed walls and to finally be rid of those stripes from spraying the doors!

And it’s certainly a far cry from the room full of blue trim that we started with:

We’ve also been trying to work on our photography skillz (picture us both laughing and blushing as we say that since we have such a long way to go) but we shot all of these after photos in manual for the first time! They’re definitely not perfect, but we’re slowly getting the hang of it… I think.

Clara is in love with her pink ceiling. When she came in and saw it she said “now when I’m sleeping I can look at the pink and the pink can look at me.”

I love that it’s a balance of crazy and calm in here, thanks to the fun mix of patterns (in the pillows, curtains, and the rug) combined with the white furniture and the white walls to sort of temper things so the room isn’t too wacky.

Here’s a shot from the closet, looking back at the other side of the room. That wall above the crib definitely needs some art, although Clara seems close to being done with her crib so we might just wait until she’s outta there to move it out of the room and then decide what will live on that wall, which will definitely inform the art above it.

Ooh look, I focused on the book and blurred the alligator. I feel like I should make myself a construction crown that says “Photoshoot Skillz In Da House” … and then promptly crumble it up after checking out my other favorite blogs, which all have infinitely better photos.

This cute kid makes any picture better though, so big ups to my girl for making this shot.

Oh and if you look closely you’ll see that we didn’t quite get into all the cracks where the wall meets the ceiling since we’re planning to add some crown molding – hopefully pretty soon!

What are you guys painting? Any clean walls + playful ceilings going on?

Comments

1. Pam says

LOVE the pink ceiling! Will look great with crown molding. And love this version of her room best so far, so fresh and peaceful with the white sheets & bed cover. Love the dotty curtains; they seem much more “little girly” than the chevrons on the bed & curtains before.

Love love love

Since you asked, I recently overhauled our powder room. I was all set to paint it Elephant Skin when my aunt (who was helping/teaching me everything) told me that we needed “a pop of color” and picked up Aster. It’s much more purple than I had ever envisioned. Sooooo I’m still a little shaky about it.
    We did paint the ceiling in the powder room which was new to me.

3. Kara says

Looks great! I love the blue over the pink. I have never been a pink girl. I just realized yesterday at my 91 year old grandpa’s house. He has blue and cream trim ALL over his house with the dark paneling. He has a great ‘Before’ if anyone is looking to make it an ‘after’. lol

I like the pink ceiling against the airy walls – very pretty. I’ve been trying to tone down my older saturated walls everywhere look and yet get away from white everywhere (that we lived with for a year) – I struck a balance recently with deep charcoal walls and saturated ceilings. We used Day’s End by Benjamin Moore for the walls and have a fuchsia ceiling in the dining area, teal in the kitchen, and citron in the living room. It looks awesome, and yet still sophisticated. I’m in love with it!

Do you have the urge to paint all of your ceilings now after this one? I think most of our white ceilings are going to be gone soon. ;)

Yes! The same thing happened in our first house (we painted the ceiling in Clara’s room and then did our bedroom one and I think both bathroom ceilings got painted – it’s contagious!)

xo

CONGRATS ON SHOOTING IN MANUAL!!! It’s a big deal! And you learned how to select your focal point, that was such a HUGE deal for me when I got my first DSLR!
    Try not to compare your photography journey to any others… you are on your own journey and that’s OK!

LOVE. I could never figure out what it was about her playroom at the old out, but I was just never feeling it, and I always felt badly about it – like, how could I not like a Petersik room????

This is great! That rug looks awesome and so do the curtains. Are the old Clara curtains migrating somewhere?

7. Molly says

Do you have tips for painting ceilings? (Have you talked about that, like a how-to, in a previous post?) My kitchen desperately needs it, but I’m terrified of dripping on my floors. Maybe it is just me, but conceptually it seems scarier than painting walls.

Painting the ceilings is one of our least favorite things, but if you use an extender rod with your roller it helps the ol’ back and just clearing the room or using drop clothes helps to cut down on drips. Good luck Molly!

xo

gahh! I love the pink ceiling! I almost painted my bathroom ceiling pink (but darker) but chickened out. Maybe this is the push I need :)

9. Carrie Gail says

Love the pink ceiling and polka dot curtains! Have to admit that the rug isn’t my favorite in this room. It seems to get all the attention, and the rest of the room just fades away. Just my opinion, for what it’s worth.

10. Jennifer says

Sorry if you’ve already answered this, but what’s the white you’re using? I swear, I never realized there were so many shades of white!!

11. Emily says

I’m guessing this is just in one of your “middle makes no sense” phases, because this room looks like a hot mess to me.

I love the pink ceiling and think its really soft and sweet, but the rug, curtains and all the accessories just don’t look good with the paint colors.

12. Brittany K says

It looks so good. Love to see how you are switching things up and shopping “around the house” for different items to complete each room.

Our house is a very open concept, so to get a fresh start before we actually pick different paint colors, we are giving our TWO living rooms, dining room, kitchen, and foyer a fresh coat of paint this week to just give us a clean slate! We went with Kelim Beige by Sherwin Williams. It feels so fresh and so clean already lol. We are hoping to be finished by the weekend! Then we are painting our laundry room “playful pool” by valspar which is a bright blue… different from my usual tastes so i’m nervous. But I have def. got my fill of painting for the next few years. The hubs can just do it all ;)!

Love the room, and completely agree with your direction of keeping the walls calm to allow the other items like the rug and ceiling to stand out. You do such an awesome job with styling too, I love it all! Oh and the idea of doing a plank ceiling in her closet sounds awe-some. I totally would of lived in that little nook as a little girl. :)