Reader Redesign: Stairway Heaven

When Rhoda sent her amazing DIY staircase makeover we had to share the goods. Here’s her letter:

I wanted to pass along photos of my latest project, since y’all are such DIY loving people. I hated the carpet on our downstairs set of steps, so I ripped all the carpet up. Oooops, you can see from the pics what I had to work with… and these stairs were never meant to be shown to the public.  But, I slowly transformed them by adding TONS of molding (I just used my hand miter box and lots of paint- including porch and floor paint for the stair treads). Then I added a natural jute runner down the middle (from Overstock). After stapling it on our stairs look absolutely fabulous, if I do say so myself. This is by far my most favorite DIY project that I’ve completed to date! Oh and you can find more info on my blog. I hope you enjoy! -Rhoda

Here are the terrifying before photos to show you what Rhoda was really working with:

And here are the amazingly polished and pristine after photos after Rhoda worked her magic:

Is your mouth totally hanging open like ours is? We’re amazed and inspired by Rhoda’s hard work and unyielding DIY confidence. And we can totally see why it’s her favorite home makeover project to date! Everything from the chic black and white paint to the affordable and perfect-for-stairs striped runner has us drooling over here. What do you guys think? Did Rhoda show those stairs who’s boss or what? Anyone else inspired to attack their less than stellar stairs now that they’ve seen her work her magic? If only ranch houses had stairs…

1. Laura B. says

I actually gasped out loud at work! What a beautiful transformation! If there were a Homer Simpson drool emoticon, I would def. be utilizing it :).

2. Kathy says

Wow, amazing! Our ranch house does have stairs to the basement. They are going to be the very final phase in our complete remodel since we tromp up and down them with all manor of things on our shoes and dripping all over on the floor. Hopefully that very final phase is coming in about 8-9 weeks and this was totally inspirational! Thanks for sharing Rhoda and thanks to YHL for posting.

3. Teresa says

This is an awesome transformation! Gives me a great idea for our stairs leading down to the basement. Great job.

4. Jen Z. says

OMG that is gorgeous! I must show this to my husband. What a great job Rhoda! I’m headed over to your blog now to look more at your DIY projects. {clapping, clapping} Thanks YHL for sharing! :-D

Hey, John & Sherry, thanks so much for the shout-out! I saw a whole bunch of people on my blog & then figured out it was coming from here. Ya’ll have SO much blog power. Fun to share & I hope others get inspired to try this at home. My stairs had to be the worst EVAH!

6. Lorrie says

Amazing….I love the black and white. I would be tempted to paint the bannister either all white or black at this point! Great job!

7. jodie says

we ripped off our carpet, too, but chose to stay with the basic step shape, because it reflected our more modern decorating approach. to me, the moldings make it look too fussy (just as for rhoda, it’s too simple without them). the transformation has been equally remarkable and we now have dark green stairs. they look great and it was easy, easy, easy and far less expensive than putting in hardwood.