Kate’s ready to totally transform her blank slate of a basement. Here’s her letter:
I’m a long time reader of your site and I’m so excited that you’re working on our space. We (me, my husband, our 9 month old daughter Annabelle and our pooch Speedy) need help with our basement tv/rec room! It’s basically an unfinished white drywall box and we’re having trouble coming up with any inspiration. Our goal is to create a room where we watch tv and and also a playroom for Annabelle that has some flexibility to grow with her. We haven’t ever had water problems in the basement, but we don’t want to tempt fate with anything too precious or unremovable at floor level, so area rugs for floor coverings work best. Most of our house is furnished through Craigslist, eBay, and antique finds- it’s an eclectic mix of mid-century, art deco and whatever else plays nicely together. The only item that has to stay is the navy blue sectional. Everything else can go. The TV & stand aren’t sturdy enough for a toddler so we’re planning on a wall mounted tv (we’ll put the components in the adjoining storage space with a radio controlled remote- so we won’t need a tv stand). The ceiling light fixtures also have to go, so we’d love your suggestions. We’re definitely looking for a wall color too (and one for the adjoining bathroom if you could). We’re not scared of prints so if you wanted to suggest a stencil or wallpaper for the bathroom or the main room, we’d be game. Can’t wait to see what you do!- Kate
Here’s the plan:
And here’s the new layout suggestion:
Now for the mood board breakdown.
Read the rest of this entry »
***Clara’s here! So this baby pool is officially closed***
Sherry’s officially three weeks from her due date (May 19th) so we thought it was about time we started a fun little baby pool around here. And like any traditional baby pool, we’re taking guesses about when the beanette will be arriving…
But our little YHL twist is that this baby pool comes with a special home decor-tastic prize: an $100 gift card to West Elm! We realize it’s not a particularly baby-themed freebie, but we wanted everyone (with or without a bean) to be excited to play. And needless to say we were beyond thrilled when the kind folks at West Elm offered up an amazingly generous gift card to one lucky reader. We couldn’t love their stuff more. Seriously.
Just check out some of their merch that we’re ogling at the moment (and a few things that you may recognize because they already live here at Casa Petersik):
- The Patch NYC Flax Butterfly Pillow
- The Flower-Dot Upholstered Slipper Chair
- The Safari Rug
- The Bone Side Table
- The Overlapping Squares Daybed (which we’ve enjoyed since 2007 in our sunroom)
- The Platinum Dhurrie Pouf
- The Parson’s Desk (which we’ve used in our corner-of-the-den office for years)
- The Jute Cube
- The Large Crushed Eggshell Box
- The Round Coco Mirror
So here’s how it’s gonna work:
- Comment on this post with the DATE that you think our baby girl will arrive. No need to guess times or weights (well you can but we won’t be judging those). And for fun feel free to toss out your favorite West Elm item these days.
- We’ll leave the pool open for guesses until we announce Baby P’s arrival, so guess now or take your chances waiting (bearing in mind that we won’t be disclosing the exact moment she’s born, so you do risk losing if you hold out too long).
- Once we’ve recuperated after D-Day (delivery day), we’ll use random.org to select ONE RANDOM WINNER out of everyone who guessed the right date.
- The prize (aka: a $100 gift card to West Elm) is available to everyone in the USA. And, as usual, only one entry per email address is permitted.
Have fun with your predictions everyone – at this point your guesses are as good as ours!