Our Free Annual Calendar Template Is Finally Here For You

It was December 30th when it struck me: “Cripes, we don’t have our 2013 calendar ready.” So I spent a couple of hours on New Year’s Eve morning and a couple more the next evening cranking out our fourth homemade calendar – and as always we’re sharing the file so you guys can download it too (and sub in your own pics and quotes to personalize it for yourself) just like we’ve done last year, the year before, and the year before that.

I’ll be honest, over the years these calendars have proven more decorative than functional. At this point they may just be considered a tradition. It started back in 2010 and for the past three years it has been a variation on a similar formula: long skinny layout + brightly colored text. Back in 2010 we used funny phrases/ inside jokes, in 2011 we tied each month’s number to a personal fact, and in 2012 we went a bit bolder and included photos for the first time (borrowing a favorite black & white snapshot from that month the previous year).

This year’s formula sort of became a culmination of all of the past years – funny phrases + something personal + b&w photos.

I’m probably biased, but this calendar is my favorite so far. It makes me so all sappy about how much I adore our little lady. Cue the collective aww. But seriously, the quotes from her (which we cherrypicked from the Clara Conversations that Sherry’s documents over on Young House Life) remind me just how hilarious she is. And although the Instagram pic along with each quote wasn’t taken at the same moment as it was spoken, together I think they paint a pretty great picture of our chatty girl. For example, there’s this one where Sherry said “Helmets keep the head safe” and then Clara screamed “Helmets keep the head face!”

As in past years, I’ve also created a stripped down version of our calendar for you to download. You’ll need Photoshop to edit it by adding your own text and pictures (dude, it’s free right here for anyone who wants it – Update: whoops turns out its not, see the comments for more info). And you can download the scripty “The Only Exception” font here (also for free). You won’t need the other font (“Homestead”) since that’s already set as each month (which won’t need to be altered) but here’s where I got it if you want it for another project (it requires a donation to download).

As for how to edit the document, each layer is a month (so showing one layer and adding your pic, altering the quote, and then printing just that layer before showing and editing the next one is the way to go). If you’re not quite the Photoshop master yet, there are some great tutorials online and a few books on the subject at the library/bookstore.

Here’s all twelve months at a glance.

And since I know not all of the Clara quotes are readable at that size, here’s a quick rundown for ya – starting with January:

• “Mommy’s awake! Now I can scream!”
  • He has pretty hair like a lady.” (Originally said about Scar from The Lion King)
  • “It’s Cinderinda!” (What she calls Cinderella)
  • “I’m a little teapot, short and shout. Here is my cupcake, here is my shout.”
  • “Don’t be shy. Be friendly!”
  • “I smell like strawberries!” (Her response when we said she smelled like she had a dirty diaper)
  • “Helmets keep the head face!”
  • “Baa baa, black sheep, have you any chickens?”
  • “We have to go to Home Depot to change your diaper.” (Said to one of her dolls)
  • “I don’t have a beard. I just have a little chin.”
  • “Daddy’s workin’. Don’t bobber him.”
  • “Her name will be Santa Claus and she will bring me toys.” (Said while pretending to have a little sister)

Oh yeah, and we just print each page on some cardstock paper using our home printer (we have an HP Photosmart C4780). Then it just needs a little trim with the scissors and a hole punch at the top and it’s ready to hang.

So what about you guys? What’s your go-to calendar this year? Do you keep a decorative calendar in one place and a functional one elsewhere? Or are you entirely digital with your date-keeping?

Comments

1. elizabeth says

I would LOVE to be able to make my own calendar! I tried to get the free version of Photoshop and, is it just me, or is everyone getting asked to enter their name and serial number. I’m not sure where you get that if it’s free! #mystified

• elizabeth says

Shoot! I just did a little more reading in the comments and it looks like PS isn’t free. The upgrade is if you already have it. Darn it! Thanks for trying to help :) Still love the calendar!

• Lindsay says

It worked for me. I used my name, and the serial number is listed on the the Adobe site right next to the link to download. Hope it helps!

• Amanda says

Earlier this week Adobe released it for “free”- for people who already had a a licence. They are decommissioning the servers it is on or something and they wanted people with legal copies already to be able to download it as a backup or something. They didn’t make it clear though and lots of people downloaded it for free even though they legally aren’t supposed to have it. They likely added the serial number stuff to head off casual down loaders.

Forbes explains it a bit better here, probably:

You can get the newest version of Photoshop Elements for $100 (or less I picked it up for $50 at Christmas for my father in law) or older versions for even cheaper on Amazon, though, and PSE will probably do most things a home user would want.

• Meredith says

Actually according to the comments, it doesn’t look like they’re really giving it away for free. This is for people that already have a license. Too bad, it looked promising!

Technically, the software is only supposed to be downloaded by people who already own copies of CS2. That being said, Adobe freely gave all of the pertinent information so that anyone, regardless of whether they previously owned it, can install it. When installing CS2, you do have to enter a name, any name, as well as a serial number. The serial number is listed on the download page in separate column to the right of the download link. Just make sure you grab the corresponding serial number for the product and platform!

Sorry if this is duplicate; it didn’t appear to have submitted earlier.

2. julie says

We have a family calendar with places to write things on it — we make it on 8.5×11″ paper, then blow it up to poster size, so there’s room to write what’s going on. We do one for the first half of the year, and one for the second half. We make a chart with the numbers going down the left side of the page, and the months at the top. It’s a different way to look at time!

3. Liana says

You’ve outdone yourselves with this calendar, to be sure! I am tucking this idea away to (hopefully!) be used in a few years. The photo and quote combination is such a fun idea. I wish your family the best in 2013!

4. Katie says

I love your Clara quotes and the way your calendar turned out this year. I have a question that is entirely off topic, but didn’t know if I should put it with the post that makes the most sense, or on the most recent. I decided on most recent. We are planning on redoing our current toy room for my oldest’s room. I’m having a hard time figuring out the budget. I looked in your money post to see how you go about budgeting but didn’t see how exactly you get your *magic* budget number. Do you just sort of have an idea of how much things should cost and then estimate, do you go through what all you want to do and then add it up (but that seems kind of stupid, that’s more like matching what you want with a dollar amount and doesn’t seem effective and being a budget). Anyway, hope this question makes sense, and I’d love to hear how you actually come to your magic budget number.

It sounds over-simplified, but the way we budget is just at every turn/choice/corner we try to save as much as we can. Essentially if we need something, we think “can we get it secondhand?” “can we build it?” “do we really need it at all?” “can we DIY it?” (for example if it’s something like haircuts, etc). Only having one car that we paid for in cash helps a lot, and we pay off our credit card every month (our only debt is the mortgage). So even for things like food and clothes we try to use coupons and save money by making our own lunches, etc. Some months we spend more (if we need to do a house project for example) but it’s only after saving up a few months and spending less, so it all evens out. The large rule is just: don’t spend any money we don’t have. So we like to only buy things we can afford with the money already in the bank (and enough in savings for us to feel safe since we both have an “unusual” career, so that cushion gives us peace of mind). Hope it helps!

xo

Love this calendar – and I agree that this may be my favorite one yet! We have a calendar of highland cows (we bought our first one on our honeymoon when we were in Edinburgh and loved the funny pics so much that we ordered another!).

AHHHGG! I just printed a calendar! But it doesn’t have Jason’s pictures like last year’s does, so I may just have to print yours too… Oh and, just last week I downloaded both of those fonts!
    Clara’s quotes are hilARious!! January’s quote – sooooooo funny. Thanks for sharing! This is my favorite of your calendar’s so far too :).

Love this idea! Those Clara quotes are priceless.

I will definitely be keeping this idea in mind for when I have a little one of my own. What a perfect gift for grandmas and grandpas.

Is it weird that I’ve been waiting to see what your calendar turned out like this year? And of course, it didn’t disappoint. Best yet!

Wow! I was just telling my husband this morning that I hadn’t made a calendar for the grandparents but I didn’t have the energy to design one this year… Thank you so much!
    Your design is so cute and fun, and Clara is hilarious! :)