Bringing Someone Else Into The Bedroom…

… it’s… gasp… a TV.

We were originally anti-TV-in-the-bedroom, so we know it’s not for everyone (and it’s downright sinful to some) but we only have one TV in our entire house – in the living room – and this guy was just sitting unused in the playroom (ever since we upsized the living room one since he wasn’t large enough to actually see from the sofa)… so we’ve gone and changed our minds. Haha. There’s actually a real reason behind the decision: more and more we’ve been thinking about how we have issues with work/life balance and it’s hard for us to “shut off.” Which is why we always end up working on the couch with our laptops and the TV on in the background. But a TV in the bedroom could become a no-work-and-no-multi-tasking spot – so we wouldn’t allow any laptops or work to take place in the room and we could actually concentrate on our favorite shows.

Just pure relaxation and zombie-apocalypse/Dexter viewing. What can I say, that’s our idea of a hot date. And I know there’s an old saying that a TV in the bedroom might keep you from… ahem… other activities. But we figure if things like caring for a toddler, renovating rooms, writing a book, and maintaining a blog don’t get in the way, that’s nothing a little TV in the bedroom could change. Aaand, now I’m blushing. Moving on.

Not gonna lie, it sounds downright heavenly to wake up on a lazy Sunday and watch a movie in bed with the bean instead of sitting on the sofa and immediately snapping into “we should be working” mode and grabbing our laptops.

And let’s just say a wall with a dresser and a TV are straight up spa-like when compared to this ridiculously cluttered before:

So I returned from all of our tour flights with a fire burning under my buns to whip the wall that we stare at every. single. night. into shape. The first step was just putting things where they actually belonged (books we had read went under the built-ins in the dining room with the rest of our collection, empty boxes got broken down and stashed in our recycling bin, the lamp moved back to where it should be, etc).

Then I moved our mid-century side tables (remember we phased them out here?) into the guest room. Now that we yard-saled the old dresser that was in there we have a completely bare wall – and two of them next to each other actually look like a console against it. I owe you guys a picture, but it definitely works for now. We don’t know if we’ll eventually use them in Clara’s big girl room, so we’ll have to keep you posted.

Anyway, once those were out of the way we could properly center the dresser (which was one of the only secret book projects that we paid for and kept since we were so in love with it – you might recognize it from this video). It sits directly across from our bed – for our prime viewing pleasure – and then we just plopped the old too-small leftover living room TV on the top.

So far, it totally works for us. Wait, except not literally. It’s not actually hooked up to cable or anything yet, so… womp-womp. Nothing to watch. Maybe I’ll “dude, get on that” in a week or two (returning from tour stuff + Thanksgiving week = too much going on to sit on hold with Verizon). Perhaps I’ll have the patience next week?

Oh and I’ve heard that it’s bad feng shui to sleep across from a TV or a mirror, but we actually slept facing a giant floor length mirror for a few years at our first house and didn’t have issues sleeping or anything like that- thank goodness. So maybe we’re immune? Haha.

Honestly, my favorite thing about the dresser actually being centered and cleared of clutter is that I get to put cute little jewelry dishes up there (which tie into the color of the rug, you know, because I’m coo-coo-for-stuff-like-that).

Also hanging out up there: wood blocks in our initials and our favorite number. Oh yeah, this stuff makes my day, guys. #noshameinmygame

So that’s where we are. Slowly inching towards a bedroom that looks less blank-wall-here, cluttered-junky-wall-there. We’ll let you guys know how the whole TV thing goes once it’s up and running. Who knows, we might end up never using it, hating it and removing it, or pretty much deciding we should never leave our room! Mostly I’m just excited that we can share photos of one of our favorite book projects on the blog. Yeehaw.

Do you guys have TV’s in the bedroom? I’m dying to know the breakdown (is it 50/50? way more than not? very rare indeed?) but the last time we embedded a poll it crashed our site, so we’ve cobbled this tiny poll together over on Facebook so if you feel like playing along or checking out the tally, click here. Can’t wait to hear where you guys land!

Psst- Have you guys seen baby Weston yet? It was so exciting getting the call in the middle of the night that he came into the world safely and all was well with Katie and the fam. Clara loves him already – and after I showed her a picture in the morning she lovingly said “I want to bother him.” Cute, right?

1. Kim S. says

We have a TV in our bedroom, right across from the bed. It doesn’t cause any problems. It was also an old TV, after we upgraded to a flat screen. I’d love to upgrade it to a flat screen, right now it lives in a huge armoire with all our sweaters.

2. MegS says

Hey, John and Sherry!
    We actually don’t have a TV at all. Crazy, right? We never have (4.5 yrs of marriage!), because we use our iMac to watch our favorite shows online and have attached an antenna so we can watch local TV. PBS rocks! ;) lol. We loved the idea of being purposeful in our viewing, and not just zoning out for hours as we/our families did during our formative years. We don’t have kids yet, so things could certainly change, but I’m proud of our decision and the thought we have put into our home– especially since it makes decorating so much easier!!! :) Can’t wait to see you guys in AUSTIN! Keepin it weird for ya ;)

we have a TV in our bedroom and I love it! A lot of nights if I am at home alone I just like to curl up in bed and watch a movie instead of sitting on the couch for the exact same reasons you listed. I work from home so it’s really hard not to just “work and watch tv” out in the living room, but I never work from our bedroom!

We have a television in our room and love it. There’s nothing better than turning on the Daily Show and snuggling/laughing. It’s such a fantastic way to decompress. And no, um, bad impact on other bedroom activities.

5. Amanda says

I am very firmly in the no tv in the bedroom camp. I actually told me fiance about a month into us dating that I would never ever let a tv come into my bedroom in case it was a deal breaker for him – luckily it wasn’t! Interestingly enough when we annouced our engagement several different people included “no tv in the bedroom” on their marraige advice lists.

My parents have a tv in their bedroom and it has become an issue for them due to the fact that my dad likes to fall asleep to the tv and my mom does not. There is really no way to compromise on it. So, my adivce would be (if you have to keep a tv in the bedrom) to come up with guide lines together for when using the tv (and what content) is acceptable.

6. Lindsay B says

I’m totally for having a TV in the bedroom! I love flipping on the Today Show when I’m getting ready in the morning, or catching up on some shows at night. Hubby and I were at Target the other day, looking at the teeny tiny TVs and joking that it would be perfect for the bathroom or kitchen…we may have a problem :)

I had to re-read that line about learning about the breakdown, because my first reaction was… 50% television watching, 50% “bedroom activities”???

HA! And then I understood. No TV in our bedroom, but we also sleep across from a mirror.

If one of us is sick, we do pull an iPad into bed and watch a movie with earbuds in or something.

8. AnnMarie says

Girrrrrrl, you do not need to defend that decision (but I get it, I was anti-tv for awhile too). We love having one in our room and it certainly doesn’t….”interfere” hehe Plus it looks great, like it belonged there all along!

9. Alice says

We have a television in our bedroom and it isn’t a problem. It gets two main uses … watching Sunday morning news shows while we read our newspaper in bed … and sometimes we are just tired and will finish watching a long show in there. And I LOVE that dresser!

10. Kara says

We moved a TV in our bedroom recently. It’s great for the kids on Sat/Sun mornings when we’re trying to squeeze in some more Zs. That’s really the only time we watch it (it’s old and tiny and not HD and hard to see).

We are a TV in the bedroom kind of family. Well, in our room only. And it’s the old school big hunk o’box one. Falling asleep to The Office or Friends reruns has become our thing.

We have a TV in our bedroom and I lurve it. I’m not embarrassed to admit that sometimes when my son wakes up during the ungodly 5:00 hour, I flip on Sesame Street and sleep for another half an hour. Keeps me sane.

That’s cute! We do that sometimes (watching something on the computer) and actually did that a lot when we were touring and the hotel room had terrible TV on! Haha!