The Color Run And Some Powdered Art For The Hall

Feel free to file this under “a small house-related project that we did while enjoying a little – well it was actually pretty big – local event.” You already know Sherry and I are trying to embrace color more in this house, but this weekend I might have taken things a bit too far…

That’s my “after” Instagram photo following a 5K race that my younger sister and I did this weekend called Color Me Rad. I’m not sure what maniacal genius came up with the concept, but it was awesome. Basically you and your white t-shirt run 3.1 miles while people periodically douse you in technicolor cornstarch. They’re being held all over the country (along with a similar even called The Color Run) and it was – well, I’ll let our matching temporary tattoos explain:

Here’s my sister Carrie and I before the race. So clean. So naive.

Sherry was on cheering/Clara duty, but decided to get in on the action in her own colorful way. She grabbed a blank canvas and brought it along in the hopes of capturing a little abstract art while she spectated.

And just so you believe that she was actually there (we realized that when she carries the camera she’s never in photos), here’s a shot of us meeting a blog reader named Katherine, who was kind enough to snap this photo and share it with us on Facebook. Sherry wants me to note that she’s not too cool for school in her shades, she’s just a weirdo who didn’t realize that it wasn’t that sunny – and only later looked at this picture and blushed for wearing them before the sun started pounding down on us…

… which eventually did happen around 9am. And despite it being pretty early in the morning, the place felt like Mardi Gras. Well, except instead of beads it was packets of cornstarch being thrown around. Before we even left the start line our shirts (and faces) were already sporting some color.

Oh yeah, and those sunglasses were part of the race packet we got when we registered. You know, so we can all look more like a weird band of brothers (and sisters) running through colored powder. Ok, they were really to help keep said powder out of our eyes.

Fun fact: the guy in green shorts below is the guy at The Tile Shop who sold us our kitchen penny tile. He’s also the person that doused my stomach in orange before the start. I guess I should be glad it wasn’t grout or something.

Here we are actually coming in for our big finish… and getting sprayed with a packet of yellow powder that my dad tossed at us.

And here we are learning our lesson to keep our mouths closed.

Carrie and I actually remained pretty clean (relatively speaking) up to this point. Lots of people were practically rolling in powder by the end (we saw one guy literally rolling in it at one checkpoint). But the cleanliness all changed right after Sherry snapped the photo above. Because that’s when we ran through the finish line. The photo below isn’t mine, it’s my friend Lauren’s (thanks Lauren!) but it perfectly captures what finishing the race felt like.

Which is why we ended the race looking like this. Well, this is after we rinsed it out of our teeth.

Despite the complete and utter mess-fest that was the racecourse, Sherry and Clara managed to stay pretty darn clean. Clara’s stroller did get doused with a dusting of orange, but that’s about it.

Well, that and there were a few cookie crumbs on her face – though we can’t blame the race for that (it was all my mom, showing up at 9am with fresh baked cookies). Although if there were a race where they threw cookies at you, I’d totally be game.

And since Sherry’s canvas also stayed pretty clean, we took matters into her own hands (and by matters I mean powder on the ground) and pelted it with all the colors we could find. Not exactly a masterpiece, but making it was pretty fun.

We actually preferred the look of it more once Sherry shook some of the excess powder off of it.

Then it started to rain a bit on our way back to the car, so some of the lighter colors washed off the canvas. And by the time we got home and hung it up it was looking completely different once again.

Overall we thought it was a fun little project with a cool story behind it. We’ll need to seal it with some sort of sealant spray to keep it for the long run, so we’ll share that update if and when we get ‘er done.

Actually, if there were any keepsake from the day that was truly representative of the madness (radness?), it’d be my shirt.

I mean, wouldn’t this look pretty cool behind a frame? Sherry insisted on snapping this photo because if nothing else we could get this printed and frame it to remember the whole color-riffic morning.

And I’m so glad she took that photo because between the light rain on our way out and me taking it off before sitting in the car, the nice speckled pattern started to turn into more of a streaky blob. And that blobbiness was only made worse when I attempted to preserve the color using Color Me Rad’s suggestion: soak in vinegar and then iron (since normal washing and drying would  supposedly remove, rather than seal in the color). By the end of it all, the shirt was looking more like this:

Still colorful? Yes. But it’s looking more like a poor tie-dye attempt, which isn’t really the look we’re going for around here (blacklight anyone?). So I’ll probably hang on to the shirt as a spare work shirt, but don’t expect to see it in a frame anytime soon. But that doesn’t mean some of our photos won’t make it behind frames. Like this one perhaps…

Or maybe this one of the villainous variety. This is the shot that Sherry took after telling me it looked like I had a mustache.

I was totally channeling Littlefinger from Game of Thrones.

Anyone else do a Color Me Rad or Color Run in their town? Or have one on the calendar still to come? Or perhaps you’ve participated in some other crazy event like this? We’re always looking for rad new things to do so please share! Update: Since folks have been asking how I started running, how I train, what races I do, and all of that stuff I’m planning a running post about that sometime soon (sure we like to stick to home stuff, but every once in a while we go off the beaten path like: DIY haircuts? check. the best spam comment ever? check. a weird dream Sherry had? check.)

Psst- Who watched the Design Star finale? Did you think the right person won? Are you going to watch their show? Did you love Hilari as much as we did? Any and all TV thoughts are welcome (you know we love to park it on the couch and watch other people paint/decorate while we sit on our buns and blog the night away).

Comments

1. Bridget says

I am doing this next year I am still getting in shape to run at all. I had friends that did it this year and they said the same about the blue being the hardest to get out. This looks like so much fun, and love the matching tattoos heehee!

2. Michelle says

looks like you had a blast! i wanted to run the Color Run here in Kansas City, but completely missed it! i watched Design Star and totally thought Britny should have won, love her and i think her show would have been awesome!!! who doesnt want to learn how to better incorporate family photos, etc into their own houses?

I was totally rooting for Brittany all through Design Star because she and I share the same Old Hollywood Regency style, but I ended up liking Danielle’s pilot a lot more in the end and will definitely be watching her show (who doesn’t like shopping?) But oh how dearly I loved Hilari…I still crack up at “You wanna know the first time I went in a yurt was? Yesterday. You know when the second time I went in a yurt was? Also yesterday.”

Hahaha- FAVORITE QUOTE FROM THE ENTIRE SHOW. John and I laughed for ten minutes and now I say it randomly (while typing, pouring a bowl of cereal, whatever).

• Ruth says

Yes, I loved that quote! And when Hilari was in the middle of a camera challenge and her carpenter tripped and broke the bed that they had spent all morning assembling… she must have felt like screaming but she just rolled with it. She is way entertaining.

I was totally rooting for Danielle in the finale, though… her pilot was so fun to watch.

Oh, I’d love a run like this to happen here. I don’t like running very much, but this looks like fun!

Would the run have taken place in pouring rain? Do you know? Just curious.

We heard it would have gone on in rain, but they would call it if there was thunder/lightning. Thankfully it was dry the entire race and only started to drizzle on our walk to the car.

5. Laura V. says

I just did the Color Run in Ann Arbor this past Sunday. It. Was. AMAZING!

I found pink to be the hardest color to remove… I still have traces on my face and along my hairline. And probably TMI, but my pits may or may not still have a little pink on them too. :D

6. Liz says

I’m doing the Color Run in DC in October… so looking forward to it! Looks like you guys had a great time :)

My husband started training for a 5K after a bunch of our friends signed up for a Zombie 5K (Run For Your Lives). That’s more like a mudder, and completely intimidating. I did just start the couch to 5K program, and I gotta tell you, a Color Run could very well be in my future! Thanks for posting the fun photos – I’ll add it to my inspirations.

• Ariel says

I LOVE Couch to 5k! I just finished week 5 this morning and I think I’m going to register for a color run as my graduation 5k. Good Luck! The Couch to 5k facebook page is a great spot for support

So Cool! My girlfriends and I are doing the Color Run in November (it’s here in Houston), and we’re so looking forward to it!
    I agree with John…I think the shirt should be framed! It would look A-to the-WESOME!

9. Courtney says

I was there and I saw you guys!!!!!!! I wanted to meet you so bad, but my friends told me I was being a dork. Sigh…. still kicking myself.

Color Me Rad was SO much fun, but I’m bummed my shirt didn’t stay pretty.

10. Merrissa R says

I am doing the Color Run-Charlotte in November! I am so excited and your pictures make me even more excited. Sad about the t-shirt though because I totally wanted to save mine as a memento too. Looks like it was a blast. And way to go Sherry for the splatter artwork it looks awesome.

11. Tricia says

I was so bummed that Britany didn’t win :( I loved her style! I felt like her photography angle was fresh as well. I’ll watch Danielle’s show and hope for the best!

Loved this season of Design Star because I thought any of the top 5 could have had great shows. I hope Mickel becomes one of the regulars on Danielle’s show. I really liked Brittany though too so I was sad for her – she seemed like the front-runner from almost the beginning.

13. denise says

The run looks like a blast. Love the “painting”! :)

I was totally bummed that Hilari got eliminated before the final. And while I agree that Danielle had a great show tape, she gets so stressed and struggles to finish everything she starts. How often does she say “I’m panicking” or “I’m starting to freak out”!? I thought Brittany’s rooms looked better.

In Canada we have the Big Bike ride to raise money for Heart & Stroke research. My husband and I participated this year. Not quite as messy as a colour run, but it was a lot of fun.

You ride on a specially-designed 30-seat bike. We rode up and down the main street of our town waving tambourines and blasting rock music. And riding – HARD – especially going uphill. Those bikes are heavy! Traffic was stopped; people were waving and honking their horns like crazy. And our team raised over $2,000 for research. I can’t wait to do it again next year!