Can You Smell That Smell?

Yup, the faint smell of bacon, spray paint, and sweat can only mean one thing… it’s Pinterest Challenge time (not sponsored by Pinterest or anyone else, just dreamed up by Katie Bower to make us stop pinning and start doing). So let’s do this thing, people. Let’s do it together. In bikinis (let’s be honest, bikinis haven’t been an option for me since having Clara).

It all started last June when Katie called me to say that she thought we should challenge ourselves to make one thing each season that’s inspired by all the gorgeous stuff that we’ve pinned (and call it… wait for it… The Pinterest Challenge). It’s a welcome slap of stop-pinning-and-start-doing. Because I’ve pinned over a thousand things and have only done about 1% of them. Yikes. And we ended up having such a great time with our first Pinterest Challenge last summer, and our second one in the fall, that we’re psyched to be back with the belated-but-not-forgotten winter edition (hey, it’s technically winter for a few more weeks, right?). So put on those sweat bands and let’s get this DIY party started!

The only rule is to do your own personal take on something inspirational that you’ve pinned (and link back to the original creator of the project that inspired you, be it a company like Anthropologie or a personal blog that got your wheels a turning). The project can be anything: big or small, decor or sewing or cooking related – or beyond! The first time around John and I made a clothespin light fixture for the laundry room (aka: big), and last time I tackled 38 homemade holiday ornaments (aka: small).

And this time, believe it or not, I thought I’d seize the opportunity to attempt a truce with my arch nemesis sewing machine (more on our “it’s complicated” relationship here) and try my hand at a homemade beanbag for the bean’s closet (which I mentioned here over seven months ago – so it’s about stitchin’ time). I’ve already pinned a ton of ideas, but I’m not sure which shape/fabric I’ll end up going with (here’s hoping my riff isn’t a lumpy misshapen mess) – but I’ll be back with all of the deets when I (fingers crossed) complete the challenge by next week.

Oh and you’re probably wondering who else is playing along with me and Katie Bower (aka: The Esteemed Bacon-Eating Pinterest Challenge Founder – who is actually nominated for an Apartment Therapy Homie in not one but two categories this year, woot!). Well, we thought it would be fun to ask different folks to “guest host” with us each time, so we’re thrilled to have:

So here’s the part where I extend my arm with a crooked smile and a true fear of sewing in my eyes and humbly invite you to join in on the fun by doing your own spin on something you pin! We figured we’d give everyone (and ourselves) the weekend to work on stuff and reconvene next Wednesday morning (the 14th) to share our projects. We’re hoping this’ll turn into the same über fun share-fest that we soaked up this summer and fall (check out all the amazing linked-up projects here and here). So just drop in next Wednesday to see what we’ve done – and to submit links to stuff that you’ve completed so we can all check it out. Maybe we’ll even pin a few things. And so the vicious cycle continues…

Psst- One more time, for the people in the back: regardless of the fact that I say Pinterest ten million times (well, not literally…) this wasn’t paid or perked by them or anyone else. We’re just eye-candy obsessed gals who love a good pin-fest. Sometimes while watching a certain lovable serial killer or a show about the zombie apocalypse.

Comments

1. Rebecca says

O.M.G.!?!? I really don’t know what to say to these pictures. Of course, it’s only fitting you announce this on Wednesday, Survivor Night. Now I am pumped for Pinterest AND Survivor tonight!!!

Yay! So excited! I can’t wait to see how those bean bags turn out! I’d love to make one myself so I’ll be looking forward to seeing your results.

Also, as someone who does a lot of Photoshopping for a living, I suitably impressed with your Survivor-maddness up there ;-).

puahaha!! I just died of laughter from those pics!! Thx for waking me up this morning!! The 4th pic of you Sherry is hilarious! And the painted bikini top on Katie is the best!! hahaha!! Can’t wait to see your bean bags!! Good luck with your sewing machine! Don’t sew any fingers…I know I have =/

I would love to make one of those. Can’t wait for your tutorial. Is there a way for the readers to pitch in with their Pinterest inspired creations too? It’d be great to see what other like minded folks are up to?

I guess, I should have been a bit more clear. Yes I’m in and I make a Pinterest inspired project. Then what? Do you feature some of the reader projects as a follow up post? I don’t remember seeing one earlier.

We just offer folks the ability to upload their own challenge projects so they’re displayed right in our reveal post (either by linking to their blog or to a free photo hosting site like Flickr). If you check out the last two Pinterest Challenges (that I linked to at the beginning and end of this post) and scroll to the bottom you’ll see what I mean! Hope it helps!

Wow! Sounds great! Thanks for the push, will get to work over the weekend. I end up buying materials for these “Pinspiration” (that’s what I call them) projects whenever I’m at Micheals but have yet to start. My office room is starting to look like your playroom.

5. Lisa says

I love the beanbags….word of caution though. We made some cute square ones for my kids and they are nice, but you don’t really sink down into them like the round ones, so the kids tend to have to balance a little to stay on them, which isn’t as relaxing as sinking into a round beanbag. So, I would suggest that you look at the round options and use bean bag stuffing, not quilting batten. It will make it safer for Clara too…my kids relax a little, then roll off the side of ours. :) Good luck!

I just finished one my own personal Pinterest Challenge, inspired by you ladies, and I will post next week.

Wow- that’s the first I’ve heard of that. Definitely food for thought! We have had so many people thank us for spreading awareness of their work just by pinning it (one girl emailed us and actually said she could become a stay at home mom after we pinned her print and it spread and she got a bunch of customers/orders to jump-start her part time business). Maybe one thing to note is that I always “comment” on everything I pin – even when I repin. So perhaps the part that says when you repin you’re not commenting on it so it’s questionable doesn’t apply (since a comment is always added)? We also have heard in a few cases that people have contacted Pinterest directly when they don’t want something up there and Pinterest removes it directly (without even asking the user who pinned it). So to my knowledge they’re at least taking responsibility for removing things that people protest instead of leaving it up to people to go after every last individual user who has repinned it if they don’t like being featured. I would hope that someone would issue a cease and desist request before hiring a lawyer and suing someone (most folks are happy to oblige to avoid all the legal trouble on both sides) but it’s definitely still food for thought! Maybe sites can opt in or out of Pinterest and then you can have clearance to pin from those places and the others who opt out can somehow be blocked? I’d go for that! Or perhaps they’ll start posting thumbnails that link to the original large image on the owner’s site, which I’d also be all for to protect everyone involved!

Have you noticed that you cannot pin from Facebook? So there is definitely a way to do this. What a bummer, definitely the first I had heard of this too. I think of it like a scrapbook only I’m not cutting/printing the photos out and keeping them in binders. Boo.

Exactly! The way they block facebook could be how they block others who opt out so only the folks who are “In” are pinnable. I’m sure it would take a lot of work on their part but it would be awesome! Maybe we should write to Ben over there? Anyone buds with the guy?

Pinterest have actually released a piece of code that you can use to block pinning from your site. If you try to pin something from a site that has the code installed, you get the message “This site doesn’t allow pinning to Pinterest. Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!”. I can see why people might want to use this if they’re really protective about their content, but it doesn’t stop people from screengrabbing and uploading it, and if they do that then you lose the automatic link back to the source, which I think would be even worse.

It’s definitely a live issue for Pinterest, but to me it’s a great resource and that story about the girl who was able to become a stay at home mum just highlights what an amazing impact it can have. I say keep pinning!

Oh and I have been waiting for the Pinterest challenge to come around – I have my eye on the perfect little project…

Very interesting! I hope folks who don’t want to be pinned put that code up! But I see what you mean about folks screen-grabbing it (that’s probably why Pinterest has such strongly worded claims to protect themselves since folks can bend the rules that way).

I just googled around and found a video about the legality of Pinterest. There apparently is an opt-out code websites can use if they don’t want their items being pinned, but it doesn’t negate the items that have been previously pinned. After reading the entire article above from the original source (the girls photography website) I decided to pare my pins down pretty significantly to just the ones that I absolutely want to show my husband for our home or recreate. It’s pretty minimal that something might happen, but I’m kind of risk averse. Just my thing.

I am going through mine too Heather! Can’t hurt to pare things down to hopefully lessen the chances of inadvertently upsetting someone!

Wow, that article is definitely interesting and has me thinking more about what I should and shouldn’t pin for now on. I recently read another article about Pinterest etiquette and why so many people object to Pinterest in the first place. One of the biggest peeves that companies and Etsy sellers have with the website is that people will pin their stuff and caption it with something like: “I could definitely make this myself” or “Would love to try to DIY this!” They see that as you trying to take business and revenue away from them. One Etsy seller said that she finds those comments rude and hurtful because it feels like people are telling her that her work isn’t worthy enough to spend money on. I never really thought of the artist’s feelings about pin captions before I read that, so I make sure to only say nice things about the work that I love enough to pin, and then I DIY at my own discretion for my own personal use and tell everyone where I got the idea from.

Very interesting! Thanks to everyone for sharing! It’s definitely true that the more we know, the better! It seems as if pinning things from blogs with a Pin This button helps to immediately know that they’re down with pinning!