Scoring A Pretty Amazing Washer & Dryer Deal

What the dealio, guys? Remember how we mentioned a few times that we’d like to upgrade to an energy efficient front loading washer and dryer sometime down the line when we saw a killer deal (we heard they pop up around February since new models are often introduced then)? Well, one found us a lot sooner than we expected. Yesterday actually.

We were walking through Lowe’s on Saturday when we noticed a sign that said 10% off all appliances. Not much of a deal, but enough to make us take a detour through the appliance section for fun. And while we were in that shiny-new-appliance-induced-euphoria, we noticed a big sign on an energy efficient Whirlpool Duet washer & dryer set that said $898 for the pair (marked down from $1198). Not a bad deal but not an earth-shatteringly amazing one either. But boy were they beauts.

We knew we liked Whirlpool Duet front loaders (they’re what we had for over three years in our last house). And they’d work in our new laundry room since they’re stackable. So we asked a salesperson if the 10% off offer that we noticed was valid on top of the posted $898 sale price for the pair. No dice. Since they were already labeled as an “in-store special” there weren’t any added price cuts they could apply. So we called it a day and went home.

The very next morning (Sunday), as if by fate, John got an email saying all Energy Star washer & matching dryer sets priced over $397 each were 20% off for a limited time (hooray for signing up for the Lowe’s mailing list when we moved). So we figured that it was worth calling Lowe’s to clarify if we could use the 20% coupon on the $898 set we had seen. Although in all honestly we went into it assuming they would say no…

… which they did. Boo.

Then we noticed that on the exact same washer & dryer were marked down to $399 each ($798 for the set instead of the $898 in-store sales price we saw earlier). And it appeared as though the 20% email offer that John received would work on top of that online sale price. Score. But we’d always rather purchase things from our local store than order them online, so we called the store back and explained that we wanted to order the set online for $319 a pop thanks to the additional 20% off the $399 sale price that we found online, but we’d be happy to come in and order directly from the store if they’d honor the $638 grand total…

… which they did. Yay.

Why the change of heart when we mentioned ordering them online? If Lowe’s is anything like my old days in retail (I worked at Express on 34th Street in Manhattan for a few years during college) they’re working to personally hit a sales goal in each store every day, so they’d much rather you go through them than order something online since it’ll boost their daily numbers. Plus they’re probably allowed to honor online prices if you print out and bring them those e-promotions and show them what you could get on their website (although we did have to speak to a supervisor on the phone before getting the all-clear).

So that’s how we practically bought one and got one free (saving almost 50%) when it came to a new Whirlpool Duet front loading washer & dryer. We plan to stack them in our laundry room in the place of our existing not-front-loading-or-energy-efficient current set so we save a bundle when it comes to water and electricity (plus they’re a lot more functional thanks to the front loading washer capability along with the extra internal space and other brand-spanking-new features).

And while we’re on the subject of saving energy, guess how many clams our new set will cost to run per year according to the Energy Star tag? Fifteen bucks. A year. For all those loads of clothes and cloth diapers that we’re doing these days. Actually it’ll probably be around $9 for the year because their $15 estimate is based on eight loads of wash per week, and we usually get by with about four to five including Clara’s cloth diapers. You know how there’s that crass term for people who are obsessed with celebs? Star effers? Well we’re Energy Star effers. They’re just so much better than the old electricity and water wasters of the past- like the older stackable washer and dryer that we inherited with the house.

Speaking of those, since they’re still in great working order, instead of sending them off to a landfill we’re hoping to sell ’em on craigslist soon since we have to wait a week or two for the new dryer to come in and get delivered. And if nobody bites on craigslist we’ll donate them to the Habitat For Humanity ReStore (they do pick-ups, which makes things even easier). And we promise to share pics of the new ones (possibly with Clara playing Vanna White) when they arrive. Have you guys scored any after-holiday appliance deals? Or convinced a store to honor an online deal with some over the phone eyelash batting?

Psst- Thanks to a few smart commenters, we just learned that we can get a $75 rebate from the VA government for buying an Energy Star appliance thanks to this link, which would take our total down to $563. Squeeeeeeeee!

1. Christine says

GREAT job! Yes, this happened to my hubby and I when we moved into our house 2 months ago. In the store (HomeDepot) our dream beyond dreamy energystar dishwasher was $798 discounted online to $337.20 and online it even excepted our 10% off “new homeowner” coupon (those coupons are the best). We printed it out and ordered it in the store the next morning.

2. Adrienne says

Here’s another way you can get an almost instant discount–order gift cards from Plastic Jungle (or another gift card reseller). Their gift cards are discounted from 5-18% (I think Lowes is around 8%). I don’t get kickbacks from Plastic Jungle (there are other gift card resellers, but that’s the first one that came to mind). My sister just bought her first house and is looking for a washer and dryer and I suggested this method to her.

3. Sarah says

Wow, what a great deal on the Duets! I bought mine more than two years ago for much more than that. Totally jealous of your deal!

4. Angela says

I actually got a HUGE deal from Lowe’s just 2 weeks ago. They had a KitchenAid mixer on sale for $181 (down from $250) but then were running an extra sale until 12/25 which made it $145 and there was a $20 mail in rebate. I was also able to pick it up at my local Lowe’s in Richmond saving on shipping costs. All said including tax I got a brand new KitchenAid mixer for only $132! A savings of over 50%!!! Yay!

I’m using your post as motivation to my husband to “keep our eyes peeled” for deals like these – considering the fact that our dryer currently burns our clothes on the lowest setting, and our washer won’t drain the water out of the basin unless you select the “cold/cold” setting (which is what we use most of the time, but would be nice to have options!) Wish me luck!

Do you guys happen to know the benefit (if any) of a dryer that uses gas as opposed ot electric to dry clothes? Our current dryer uses gas, but or old one used electric – until we moved into this house, I’d never seen a dryer with a gas line hooked up to it before…not sure if we’re saving/losing money with this particular setup –

Hey Erin,

We did notice on the Energy Star sheet that a dryer that uses gas appears to be slightly cheaper to run! But perhaps as a trade off, they seem to cost a bit more in the up front. Hope it helps!

My parents just bought a front-loader washer/dryer set from Sears yesterday for almost half off as well.

I am always shocked at how much stores will often knock off the total just by my parents asking what their best price is. Also, my dad asks for a senior citizen’s discount for EVERYTHING. I even remember him asking (and receiving one!) when he bought me a wakeboard as a birthday present in high school!

Love the picture – although to my British eyes the washer and dryer look almost obscenely large! Do you know what the appliance to the left is? (Or is it just a cart?)
    Also – have you ever thought about a combined washer/dryer? What was your thinking against that?

Hey Annabelvita,

They look extra big since they’re sitting up on pedestals (those babies are extra and we’re going to stack our units so we didn’t get those). As for the thing next to them, it’s just a rolling laundry cart I think (we got one from Target for our old house for $19). As for a combined washer/dryer, they’re not really very popular here in the states (we actually haven’t ever seen one at Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc) so they’re very hard to find (or find a deal on) which is why we didn’t consider one. Perhaps because most people have the space for two since that has been the standard so long here in the states, there aren’t many companies who are making combined models for our region? It’s a shame because they sound like real space savers!

8. Janie says

What a great deal! Your dryer isn’t included in the energy star rating and annual usage, though. They don’t give them any stars because they’re such energy hogs.

Now that you have several empty rooms, have you considered hanging your laundry on racks in the spare or guest rooms? It saves energy, makes things (especially diaper elastic) last longer, and adds valuable winter humidity to the house.

Hey Janie,

We line dry and air dry whenever we can- especially those cloth diapers! And the dryer actually has a no heat “eco” cycle that spins them very fast to air dry them, so we’ll be using that whenever we can as well!

9. keri says

i think that’s the way it should be – if that’s the price online, that’s the price in store!
    i had a friend who was a manager at dick’s sporting goods – who was always frustrated because DSG actually uses a different company entirely for their website (so you are at dick’s sporting but you’re not actually shopping them) – totally different prices and items. does anyone else know of other companies like this?

• Ryan says

Pottery Barn does this. I worked at PB Kids and they wouldn’t honor online or catalog prices in the store because they are a separate division. Those divisions are actually connected to the outlet stores, so whatever isn’t sold that season in the catalogs and online goes to the outlets. I’m sure this is fairly common practice. That’s not to say exceptions weren’t made when people were persistent about it ;)

10. Rachel says

What an awesome deal! We have some old but functional machines in our rental and have discussed springing for a new more efficient pair that we can take with us. It’s times like this that make me wish I was not in grad school so that all that money we put away for tuition could be used for deals like this!

My best friend just bought this exact set a few days ago. Not sure if she got the deal that you guys did BUT I must say that I definitely have front loader, energy efficient ENVY! She’s over the moon about it especially since she’s been doing coin-op laundry for 14 years! (She and her fiance just purchased their very first home.)

12. Angela says

I just got the SAME Whirlpool set a few days ago! And also the matching pedestals (buy one, get one free deal going on on those right now, too:). We thought it was an incredible deal all in all. But I didn’t know about the online prices or the 20% off coupon on energystar. Would you mind passing on that coupon code? I want to see if Lowes will work with me on a refund!!