I Like To Move It Move It (Moving Lists & Tips)

Do I get a point or two for a second moving post with a 90’s song reference in the title (here’s the first one)? And since it’s Friday, we figured we’d toss a video in. Oh but there are some bouncing booties on blast, just in case you’re at work or have an old-enough-to-ask-questions kiddo on the ol’ lap. You’ve been warned.

We’re about 90% packed, which is a good thing with moving day looming around the corner (we’re packing the truck on Sunday and officially moving on Monday afternoon if all goes well and our closing doesn’t get bumped to Tuesday). Cross your fingers for us!

Here’s how we’re doing on our little to do list that we shared on Wednesday:

• remove every single item from the wall and patch/paint every nail hole in the house (this was actually about 500 times easier than I expected- just remove all the nails at once, spackle everything at once, and then paint room by room. It’s a lot faster than doing those three things in each room before moving onto the next one since you’d be opening and closing the spackle and cleaning the putty knife about a million times).
  • transfer all of our utilities so they start over at the new place on move-in day
  • pack the entire bathroom (except for travel sized shampoo & conditioner, our toothbrushes, and the shower curtain)
  • pack all of our frames, mirrors, books, ceramic animals, and 80% of the breakables (still need to do our dishware – yikes!)
  • rake the yard so the new owners don’t think they’re moving into a giant leaf pile
  • oversee the completion of a few random inspection items (some flue work is being done by a pro)
  • get our oil measured for closing (new buyers pay for the oil that’s left in the tank, isn’t that a nice fair way to do it?)
  • wave goodbye to our tan slipcovered Pottery Barn sofa in the den (someone from craigslist is supposed to be picking it up)
  • pack the rest of the kitchen along with about 10% of the other rooms that still need to be done
  • clean the oven and the fridge (can’t really do this until right before we go)
  • vacuum/sweep before locking the door with a tear in my eye

Not bad right? Just that last 10% of packing along with some cleaning is left and we’re on to the new place with a spring in our step (ok, maybe no spring if we’re carrying heavy boxes). After a long and stressful day yesterday – all the last minute closing details and papers are keeping us on our toes! – we went for a drive over to the new house and just gazed at it through the car windows. Even Clara and Burger looked. It definitely got us back into the excited state of mind that we’re trying to live in for the next crazy few days. Ah new house, how do we love you. Let us count the ways…

And for those who love to see our house tore up from the floor up, here’s how things are looking right this moment:

Oh and since a few people have been wondering, here’s what is conveying (staying) with the sale of our house:

• all the appliances both in the kitchen and the laundry nook
  • the storage pieces and cabinetry in the basement
  • the built-in wardrobes on either side of our bed & the bed frame itself
  • the floating shelves in the dining room
  • all hardwired light fixtures and the plug in swing-arm lamps in the bedroom (except for the chandy from Clara’s room, which we replaced with a standard light)
  • all of the blinds, shades, curtain rods, and curtains in the house (except for the curtains in Clara’s room- I’m just too sentimental to walk away from those)
  • a folder of manuals and house info along with all the exterior & interior paint (labeled by room)

We’re actually really happy to leave those things behind (they added up to a nice quick sale and an offer above our asking price). Now for another bulleted list (I’m on a roll here). These are a few packing things we’re doing that seem to work well for an obsessive type-a gal like me:

• John came up with the genius idea to use blue painters tape to mark boxes that are breakable so we can easily identify the ones that we should be extra careful with
  • He also decided to put a piece of painters tape on the cabinets in the kitchen that aren’t empty yet (so we don’t keep opening all the doors to see which ones are done and which ones still have to be packed)
  • We’re using a sharpie to write what’s in nearly every box (so if we have to find Clara’s bath stuff in a snap, we know where it is).
  • Thanks to lots of recommendations, we hit up our local wine store for a few more boxes (they’re free, sturdy, and some even have handles).
  • We’ve packed a “vacation stash” of clothes, toiletries, baby stuff, etc that we’ll rely on for the next few days here and the first few days at the new place (so there’s no rush to dig through boxes for the essentials).
  • We also packed a “good to have around” box for the new house that we’re keeping in the car (with toilet paper, paper towels, hand soap, cleaning supplies, cups for water, and a few other things we’re sure we’ll appreciate having right away for our friends & family members who are helping us move – and also for ourselves once they leave).

So far so good. Eye on the prize (aka: the new house). Eye on the prize…

1. JenO says

Great tips for moving, especially the blue painters tape. Kudos to John. I’ll keep these in mind when we move from our current dream house.

Best of luck moving!

2. Cheryl Balmas says

Boohoohoo to Hooray Hooray Hooray…lovely memories at the old house and new memories to come in the new one. We have been in our ‘new’ house for nearly 18 years now and my kids still remember the ‘old’ house fondly. Of course, they were older than Clara when we moved. Our neighbor took a picture of the group of us on the front porch of our old house the day we moved and it is revered. That was our first house, too. I remember the first night sleeping in our new house was weird. Before I went to bed I sat in a rocking chair and just looked around. I was feeling a little melancholy (and tired!) that first night but when I woke up the next morning refreshed I was excited! And ready to hang shower curtains and ‘settle in’. Its so exciting starting something new and organizing your stuff in the new place and getting new things. I CAN’T WAIT to see pictures of the inside of your new place and follow this exciting journey with you! Happy moving! (And may I say your current place still looks fantastic even all tore up…lucky new owners!)

When we moved earlier this year, it was damp outside. Actually sprinkling a little while boxes and furniture were being moved in. I remember wishing I had a couple door mats and old towels around to keep our family and friends’ feet dry before they carried boxes throughout the house.

4. Larissa says

I’m getting nothing done at work because you guys have put me into bullet-pointed-list mode for getting the house baby ready.

Question: are you buying new appliances? Or are the previous owners conveying theirs? Or are you going to tell us about that later?

You get 5,000,000 points for the fun Friday 90’s reference. My elementary music students LOVE that song.

They’re actually conveying all of theirs to us since they’re moving to the mountains- which is great news for us! Of course down the line we plan to upgrade them (to newer more energy efficient models) but we’ll wait for a nice big sale before we pull the trigger…

5. jbhat says

I know it’s been a lot of hard work, but you guys have made moving look easy, tidy, and dare I say it, fun. And you mentioned in a comment reply that you haven’t been overly emotional about the departure yet. I think that’s the darn thing about life events. It seems like the details and deadlines sometimes detract from being able to enjoy/succumb to the drama.

Not sure if you are doing this already, but a friend of mine bought a house and when she moved in, there was a little care package of toilet paper, a few rolls of paper towels, some hand soap or stuff like that. She said it was so nice to walk in and be able to use the bathroom without hunting.

I know you are taking that stuff with you, but in case the new owners aren’t as prepared, it would be nice!

Oh yes, we’ll leave some tp, paper towels, and a thing of hand soap behind for sure! Those are definitely things that wouldn’t be very nice to be without!

Hey D,

As far as we know they’re not (they know about our blog because we disclosed it when they made an offer, but they had never read it before they laid eyes on our house). So maybe they’re new readers since we shared the addy – or maybe they just don’t care! Either way, we’re so thankful they’re buying our house. So if you’re reading this new owners: thanks!

I’ve never seen this basement you speak of. Why does it never make it into your videos? I’m very interested! We don’t have basements in Ireland.

8. Lisa says

When we sold our townhouse in 2007, we left behind a bottle of champagne and a “Welcome Home” note for the new owners, in addition to a clean house and touched up paint like you.

We had a happy buyer and an easy closing/sale – I hope you do too! Best of luck on Monday that everything goes off without a hitch!

9. Melissa says

The video clipped definitely “moved” me to post here today, thank you! :)

I live in DC with my fiance and we’re considering buying a home after we get married, but it feels like quite the Big Deal. Reading your blog is very encouraging.

A tip from a dear friend who just moved: When you first move in, put your purse, wallet, keys- the really important things (baby?)- in the bathtub until you have a set “important things” place.

Happy moving! Hope it’s not snowing yet.

It’s probably too late for this tip, but my husband kept a master list of stuff when we packed/moved so we knew exactly what was in each box. So he numbered each box (100-series was kitchen, 200-series was living/family room, 300-series was kids’ room, etc), and then each box’s contents was spelled out on our list. Our move was a little more complicated (out of our house, in with my dad for a few months, and then our new house) so knowing what box was where (storage, my dad’s basement, my mom’s basement) and how to find stuff easily was crucial. I made fun of him at the time but the lists proved invaluable during those months of living out of boxes, and also while moving into the new house :-)

Your move looks WAY more organized that ours did – I’m so jealous! But I will say I get tired just reading your posts most of the time ;-)

11. neena says

I know this is way off-topic, but I’ve looked and looked for your old post on baby items you found essential, and I can’t find it, any chance of dropping in a link? thank you!