John’s Bee-Day Gift

Yesterday was my sweet hubby’s birthday so I figured I should share what Clara, Burger and I got him. John and I have recently been talking about how we’d love to amass more “real art” to complement all the DIY stuff that we have framed on every wall. This goal is definitely inspired by our friends Matt and Kristin – who we House Crashed here and here. The cheerful original art that lights up their home always has us jonesing to add more color and fun to our walls. So consider this painting to be the beginning of an exciting little collection that will happily hang in the new house:

It’s a 12 x 12″ original oil painting on canvas done by an amazing Etsy artist named Roz (to the tune of $75). And the moment I laid eyes on it I knew it was perfect. See, John and I actually worked bees into our wedding invitation (which you can check out here) so we’ve always considered them to be our animal- er, insect. And the fact that there are two of them galavanting around the canvas together makes it even easier to see as a symbol of our relationship. My man gives me a buzz, what can I say. Ok, enough cheese. Hubby loves it. So glad.

1. Rachel says

I love the painting, Sherry. What a great birthday present! I’m just curious how you surprised John. He seems to be the type that would notice the charge on the credit card…I always have this problem when trying to surprise my husband.

I told him not to look at our online statement until after his b-day. He loves surprises so he was happy to oblige. The funny thing is that it’s going to come up as “DrunkenCows” or something random like that, so I doubt he’d figure it out from that description. Haha.

That’s a really great gift! My boyfriend’s birthday passed in September and I got him tickets to a concert he was itching to go to (that we saw this past weekend), but with Christmas coming up, I’m low on ideas of what to get him besides boring kitchen things (my manslice loves to cook). Besides a mandolin and a flask I scored on Etsy, I may have to nab a page out of your book and score some nice art for our bedroom, which has barren walls.

Etsy is such a great place. I’m in the midst of setting up my shop to sell jewelry. It’s a bit overwhelming (shipping! pricing! competition!) but I’m really excited to get it up and running once I have good photographs of everything.

3. Dana says

Given that bees are your animal – er, insect, have you two ever thought of keeping bees? They’re super cool and pretty easy. Plus you get honey (bonus) and it’s a really green thing to do since honeybees are on the decline and are such an important part of our ecosystem. It doesn’t take much space, either… Maybe a project for the next casa?

4. Kim says

Just curious – what are some of your favorite Etsy shops? I have been doing a lot of perusing there lately for wall art and am always looking for new shops to “favorite”!

Hey Kim,

I’m a huge etsy fan and browser, but I never really remember shops specifically (so I don’t have a little roundup to share or anything). I just click around and search certain terms (in this case “oil canvas”) and see what I find. Happy hunting!

5. Kay says

Aw, our husbands share a birthday. Mine turned 28 yesterday. :) We also have a goal to invest in original art. So far, we haven’t pulled the trigger on that yet — just prints.

6. Liz says

This is kind of off topic, but I saw that John just turned 29 and I wanted to share the project that I did for my 29th year. It’s called a 30 by 30 list (I can’t take credit for it … I got the idea from a friend, who got the idea from a friend …). You make a list of 30 things you want to do by the time you turn 30 and then you spend the year trying to get them done. Like a bucket list, but better because a) it makes things a priority for right now .. not someday before you die, and b) it’s focused on living, not on death! I found it to be a really great experience, and helped me to really welcome my 30th instead of dreading it. Anyway, I just thought I’d share since it seems like the kind of thing you guys might be interested in! Hope he had a great birthday!! And great job on the painting choice! Love it!