Go Forth & DIY, Squadders

You may have already heard that True Value is back this year with their DIY Blog Squad. But this time around YHL ain’t on it.

As entertaining as it might be to have some big dramatic story behind our disappearance from the always-fun and always-creative lineup of bloggers, there really isn’t one. We just couldn’t swing it this year while attempting to keep up with our two-post-a-day habit along with organizing giveaways, answering comments, writing our column for Babycenter and Do It Yourself magazine, and of course taking care of our new baby girl. And sadly, the closest True Value requires a three hour drive so it’s hard to squeeze in a pilgrimage like that (especially since we’re now card carrying members of the car seat club – so we can’t fill the ol’ Nissan to the brim like we used to). But our loss is tempered by our excitement about everyone else’s projects. We can’t wait to see what our old squad friends have up their sleeves!

Speaking of which, the True Value Blog Squad has added a ton of newbies to the team along with some old favorites. Returning again are Josh at Bungalow 23, Brian & Paul at The Handyguys Podcast, Layla & Kevin at The Lettered Cottage, and our good friends Katie, Jeremy, and Baby Will over at Bower Power.

Joining them for their rookie year on the squad are Sarah at ThriftyDecorChick, Kate at Centsational Girl, Gabrielle at DesignMom, Kit at DIY Diva, Joey and Lana at Joey and Lana Make a House a Home, and Roeshel at The DIY Show Off. So many projects, so little time! And not only is this year’s squad bigger, they’re up to more things including appearances on both True Value’s website and their Facebook page. And of course there’s the $1000 True Value gift card that they’ll each be receiving to take on projects in their own home (like the basement overhaul that we tackled last year).

So set your browser bookmarks, make additions to your Google Reader and join us in wishing the 2010 True Value DIY Blog Squad godspeed on all of their adventures this year. We can’t wait to see what they take on!

Note: Since the official Blog Squadders are putting up a little compensation notice on their posts, we figured we should mention that we’re not getting compensated for this little ditty. We just wanted to explain our squad absence and share the exciting new lineup.

Comments

Hey Amanda,

They actually approached us (as well as our friend Katie B) so we don’t really know of anywhere to toss your name into the hat but perhaps being active on their Facebook page might put you on True Value’s radar? Good luck!

I wondered if you’d blog about this!! I was super curious when I saw Katie’s post on bower power…I figured it had something to do with being so busy! Thank you for squelching my curiousity!

Oh Katie, you know how to make a girl snort milk out of her nose. So sorry to elicit a frownie emoticon. We’re sure we’ll team up again soon on something. Perhaps another table setting video? Hehe.

2. Jenn says

Ok John – where did you get your Billups Tshirt?!?! (gas mask picture) I have the same one – and I live in Phoenix, AZ. Funny! I guess since we’re both in Marketing/Advertising – we’d wind up with the same shirts!

This answer will probably come as no surprise, Jenn, but I got the Billups shirt at an advertising conference last October. I actually got two (because my boss gave me his) and was very excited to have two knew painting shirts… but they’re actually quite comfortable so I’ve actually tried to keep the second one clean (after all, the first one didn’t survive the basement project).

-John

Sad to see you go from the True Value space, but so glad to see lots of blog authors that I read are joining the team. (ThriftyChic, DIY Showoff)

4. Keri says

Well if you guys live in Richmond you must come visit Yorktown, VA! We actually have a True Value here. Tt also goes by the name Grafton Hardwarde but yes indeed it is a True Value. Were only about 45 mins to an hour away from Richmond, not sure how big your True Value is 3 hours away but ours is nice. Figure I’d save you a 2 hour drive next time you need to make a trip!

Thanks for the info about the Yorktown True Value, Keri! We had been visiting the one in Fredericksburg (a 3 hour round trip) because we were able to stop on the way to and from my parents’ house in northern Virginia. But good to know there’s one we can get to in about half of the time!

-John

5. Missy says

I’ve enjoyed reading your blog, especially when it was all about home improvements & seeing your before and afters. It seems like you are pretty much done though – which is great for you… but sad for us! Maybe two posts a day may be a little much sometimes. Do your advertisers force you to do that or something? It seems like you are going in a decor direction – got any other big DIY projects up your sleeve?

Oh yes, not to worry! We have a sunroom mini makeover coming up and then we actually plan to take on other before and afters for people that we know. Lots of fun stuff to come- both big and small!

6. Queenie says

You two people are so perfect ,and a dog and new baby ,I vote for hgtv to have a mini sitcom featuring your busy lifestyle doing what only one could ever dream of ,DIY ,and loving every second of it ……maybe bravo like design 6 ,I was just so addicted to that show as were many other veiwers and then poof it was gone .

7. Jenn says

John – you weren’t at the DMA in San Diego last October were you? Because I was there too! I love my Billups shirt and I wish I had two! In the winter (if you can call it that here in AZ) I wear mine at least 2 times a week working out and it’s my official under the ski jacket shirt when I’m carving down the mountains.

If you were at the DMA last year, are you headed there again this year? If so – see you in San Francisco!!

Hey Jenn,

I got mine at a conference in Baltimore that was for my old agency’s advertising network actually, so sorry I won’t be spotting you at the DMA in San Fran!

-John