Burning Question: Mirror Or Medicine?

We’re back with another bathroom question and this time it’s all about what you love above the sink. Do you prefer a medicine cabinet for a bit of concealed storage? Or do you love the sleek clean-lined look of a mirror without anything hidden behind it? Would a bathroom without a medicine cabinet be a deal breaker? Or do you love the lighter look of a mirror without all the hidden Advil?

Comments

1. ChaChi says

During my bathroom makeover I had planned on buying a sleek mirror but I ran out of money. So I was stuck with my 50 year old standard medicine cabinet, it stood out so bad as an Old fixture so… I painted silver a frame around it on the wall. Similar to the Ikea Ung Drill frame. And now I LOVE it. I have the best of both worlds sleek mirror and storage. It might not be for everyone but I love it. And it cost under $5 to update it rather then the hundreds I thought I needed.

2. Beth says

I hate medicine cabinets! It never fails, no matter how organized you are that one day you’ll open it and the Tylenol will commit suicide by throwing itself into the sink.

But I’m also not a fan of all your personal potions and lotions being out and about on counters. Thankfully we have lots of storage in our bath, not even our tootbrushes are out (ew.)

It’s funny, I just talked about this on my blog yesterday. If you do have to have your “stuff” a-showin’, do it funky and fun. Like so; http://everydaylifeofbellom.blogspot.com/

3. Blair says

Like Liz, we have a medicine cabinet built into the wall with a mirrored cover that stands flush against the wall. We get the beauty of the mirror with the function of hiding the toothpaste and toothbrushes! Excellent.

4. Jennifer says

I literally lost sleep over this just last week. We FINALLY decided, and chose a medicine cabinet over a mirror, with the thought that a buyer would want that extra storage space (we have a pedestal sink in the house’s only bathroom). I am hoping we made the right choice! I’ll be keeping an eye on the results!

5. Jennifer says

Also, when we were going back and forth about this, I looked through all our catalogs (including Pottery Barn, the image you chose) and there were NO bathrooms featuring medicine cabinets. All the catalogs are selling mirrors now. So it seems that mirrors are very popular, but again, with a pedestal sink, we just thought the cabinet would be a better option.

6. tracy says

Well, we used to have a medicine cabinet and when we built our new house, I thought, OUT with you damn spot!!! and looked forward to the wonderful expanse of a larger mirror..

I miss my medicine cabinet dearly.. I’ve now got all the medicine stored in a basket in our walk in closet…which I guess isn’t a big deal, but I think that stuff would be better in the bathroom.. isnt medicine supposed to be in the bathroom?

Just my 2 cents

7. Krissy says

I have a medicine cabinet in the wall, so it looks like a flat mirror. We had to have a medicine cabinet for storage since we opted for a pedestal sink. I love both though because not having counter space forces me to keep it clean, and the medicine cabinet can store essentials like tootpaste and tampons.

We just moved into a rental that has a huge mirror above the sink, but no medicine cabinet (and the vanity has no drawers…). Our solution is to hang a medicine cabinet above the toilet, which is near the vanity and the mirror. Medicine cabinets really help me organize the bathroom better!

9. Heather says

I love a simple mirror over the sink in a small, powder room space. For master baths, I prefer a little extra storage for those odds-and-ends that are vital for getting ready in the morning!

Normally I don’t mind medicine cabinets that much (though I do tend to put things in them and then promptly forget about it!) but the one in the apartment I just moved into is HORRIBLE–it just hangs on the wall, not built in, so it sticks out and I’m always afraid I’m going to smack my head on it when I bend over the sink to brush my teeth, plus it’s ugly and has definitely seen better days. I plan on taking it down and replacing it with a nice mirror–the bathroom is tiny, so I need all the space I can get, plus I can’t exactly put in a built-in medicine cabinet since I’m renting (I’ll probably have to put the monstrosity back up when I move out)