Burning Question: Rug On Rug Action?

We wanted to take your pulse on this always controversial subject. Do you guys like the area rug over wall-to-wall carpet look? Or do you prefer not to layer the two (and only endorse accent rugs on harder surfaces, like hardwood or tile floors)?

We’re itching to hear where you stand on the issue. Do tell…

Comments

1. Annie says

I like the added color and texture an area rug can bring to a room, even if it is over wall to wall carpet. After living in 4 apartments in 5 years all with plain boring carpet you have to do something.
    Now that we have a house with the cheapest carpet on earth, (I think it is made from barbie hair since it mats the same way when it gets wet) I want to cover as much of it up as I can until we can afford to rip it our and redo the hardwood.

2. Brien says

I think the rug on rug looks great in the room pictured here, but I am not sure an area rug would look as polished on top of my wall to wall blah builder carpet.

3. sonya says

The house we bought has wall to wall berber and we can’t afford to install wood floors right away. I want to try the carpet-on-top thing because I’m not lovin the whole sea-of-carpet look in our open floor plan. I’ve been procrastinating on it, mostly because I’m afraid of making a mistake. If anyone has some great pointers on how to do this well, I’m all ears!

4. Cristina says

Hi youngsters :-)
    ok I know your blog is not about babies ;-) but we are dying (I use the plural because I’m sure that all your readers are with me) to know some information about Clara and you.

Please consider to open a little “baby-window” a “p.s.” a “tag” or what you want, maybe at the end of the post, just to tell us how is it going ^_^ (of course just if you want to share this kind of personal information;-)

For example: are you sleeping at night?
    :-)

Baci!

Hey Cristina,

We have the best baby in the world! We’re still sleeping 8 hours a night (interrupted by feedings of course) but Clara is awesome about eating and going right back to sleep. In fact we have to set an alarm to wake her for each feeding because she would sleep right through them if we didn’t! She’s also a great little eater (she gained 5 ounces in just 2 days!) and is an all around joy to be around. It might sound weird but we expected it to be a lot harder (so many people told us we wouldn’t sleep or eat and breastfeeding would be hard and we wouldn’t know which way was up) but we’re happy to say that she’s a dream and we’re so in love. It also might help that John wins daddy of the year. At the beginning every single night feeding he goes into her nursery and gets her from her crib when our alarm goes off and he burps her afterward, changes her diaper, and puts her back to sleep. In fact he’s in charge of all diapers (day or night) since he says I’m doing all the work when it comes to feeding. Teamwork really makes all the difference! And I guess having an amazing baby helps too!!!

5. Keren says

The only reason I chose the “hate all rugs and carpets” is because our son has bad indoor allergies to carpets and we have two dogs who have occasional accidents (and never on the hard surfaces!) My goal is to get rid of all our carpeting.

I love area rugs but I avoid wall-to-wall carpeting like the plague. During the last three apartment hunts, one of my top requirements was hardwood floors throughout!

We just installed hardwood flooring in our house this year, and I bought a Flat Braided Jute rug for the living room. Then I layered a Swedish Stripe rug from Dash and Albert under the coffee table. I think it looks great, and adds a little bit of color to the room and keeps it from looking too boring. Here is a link if you want to see: http://the7daggetts.blogspot.com/2010/03/some-pics-of-new-wood-floor.html.
    When I told my daughter that I was going to put a rug on a rug, she thought it sounded odd, but of course I then showed her some pics in the Pottery Barn catalog, and in Country living magazine of some rug on rug action, and she understood. If it’s good enough for PB and CL, then it’s good enough for me! :)

My grandparents do the rug-on-rug action and if anything it’s annoying, especially when cleaning/vacuuming. Either do wall-to-wall or rugs on top of bare floor. Rug-on-rug is just overkill, I think, haha.

It’s been a while since I have visited you blog, so I hadn’t heard about the baby yet! Congrats!! So happy for you guys!

10. Cristina says

I’m really happy to know that Clara is so.. brava bambina! :-)
    I believe that if mummy and daddy are a team all is easier and if the parents are organized and relaxed the baby will feel relaxed too! ;-)

Good job boys! ;-)
    (keep us informed.. just a little bit.. uh?;-)

I think carpet on carpet usually turns out badly.. I suppose it could be done but I’ve never seen it except the picture you posted.

I agree with more baby posts! I’m curious with how your DIY has changed with Clara.. You guys have done such an awsome job keeping everything updated!

Congrats again! :)

12. Suzanne says

In general, I don’t like carpet on carpet. However, in the photo it looks good, the wall to wall carpet in the photo is “flat” and textured looking. I wish I could put carpets on top of my cheapo, boring carpet but it would look even worse in my opinion.

This brings up a question. I think it’s possible that there could be some sort of wood floors under my wall to wall carpeting. Our house was built in 1930 and is located in central PA. Should I just pry up the carpet to check? Will I have difficulty getting it to lay flat? Should I call a professional? Any ideas??

~Suzanne

Yup, best thing to do is to carefully pry up a corner of the carpet. It should lay flat again if you don’t have anything good under it with the pressure of a few books on it for a few days. And if that doesn’t work, even a loop of duct tape can hold down that corner for the long haul. Just the smallest little corner slice will do for you to see what’s under there. Hope it help!