Budget Blooms: Starting The Year Off Right

Thump. That’s the sound of us falling off the fresh flower bandwagon last October. From the first of 2009 through September we were enjoying one inexpensive (and even free) bouquet for each month of the year (a super sweet Christmas present from the hubs). But somehow the end-of-the-year madness (toss in a few holidays, a growing family, a bathroom gut-job, and an impending nursery makeover) sadly derailed our year of budget blooms.

Well, John was determined to kick this year off right with a happy and cheerful January bouquet for me (actually purchased on 1/1/10- what a nice “fresh start” to the year). This month’s arrangement hails from the grocery store and only ran us $4. Nice. And to stretch our flower budget even further, I separated the blooms into two mercury glass candleholders-turned-vases and proudly displayed our mixed batch of daisies, mums, and alstroemerias in this rarely seen nook of our kitchen:

We love how they look sort of New Years-y and cheerfully festive with the cake stand full of ornaments and ceramic fruit… but of course since these flowers are all long-lasters we’ll soon be replacing the ornaments with some edible treats (cupcakes if we’re bad, fresh fruit if we’re good) as the month goes on.

We really like how the happy pops of yellow in the alstroemerias (they’re almost springy- which is encouraging on some of the coldest days) pair with the fresh green of the mums and the big white daisy (along with all the other white accents like the cake stand, ornaments, and lotus candle holder). It’s sort of a winter-white-meets-New-Year’s-sparkle effect… with an optimistic splash of spring tossed in for good measure.

And of course for $2 per arrangement we’re pretty happy with our re-commitment to at least one affordable bouquet per month. But what about you guys? Do you have any favorite seasonal blooms that you whip out each January? Is there any other greenery that you love having around to start the year off right (a gorgeously scented potted rosemary? a luxe bouquet of red roses?). Do tell.

Wanna see our first grocery store bouquet from last January? Itching to check out February, March, April, May, June July, August, and September too? Just follow the links for some pretty sweet cheap-o (and even free) bouquets.

Comments

1. candace says

I took your advice from an old post and picked up some Paper Whites…they are almost ready to bloom! I got some for my Mother-in-Law as well as a Xmas gift. *claps*

2. Lisa Becker says

Hi! Love your site… I’ve told everyone I know about it! You guys are my inspiration.

I always kick off the year with a tall, wide clear vase full of Narcissus bulbs, or white Amaryllis (super cheap at the grocery store after the holidays). It’s fun to watch them grow (especially fun with a toddler!), and they are a wonderful promise of impending spring.

Happy 2010!!

OMGosh! I know this post is about the flowers, but I LOVE the nook! Can’t believe we’ve not seen that before! I’m a huge nook fan, no matter where they’re found. :-)

BTW, Sherry, how are you feelin’ about Nate getting his own show? We don’t get cable, so I’ll be left watching the few shows they post online, but I’m chomping at the bit anyway. :-)

I love the paperwhites, too :) Didn’t get my act together enough this year to do it, but we usually have them in January. I plant crocus outside (planning to plant them at *this house* in the fall this year), so we start getting outside blooms by late February. There are actually a number of super early blooming bulbs that would look great cut for inside if you had enough planted. Winter aconite can be a great, sunny yellow for early March.

~Jacci

5. amelia says

very pretty mini flower arrangements – and for $4! how could you go wrong! gotta love the nook too!
    Must say this combination of white, spring green and yellow are great nursery colours (perhaps with a dash of pink for the beanette)!

Hey Amelia,

We definitely plan to have an abundance of white and green in the nursery with splashes of yellow (along with soft turquoise). Maybe we subconsciously picked flowers that reflect that theme?! Too funny.

I love the yellow, so warm for such a cold season!

My hubby likes surprising me with flowers from the grocery store every once in a while and I like to do the same thing. The 5 different types of flowers in the bunch become 5 small little arrangements throughout the house for $3-$4. It really adds a little more ‘life’ to each room without breaking the bank.

In the summer and fall I used our hibiscus flowers and bougainvillea clippings for various rooms, they have so much gorgeous color!

I haven’t brought any fresh flowers in for the new year yet. Thanks for the reminder! :)

BTW-Sherry, has anyone ever told you that you look like the actress Rachel McAdams?

That’s so funny, I actually get that all the time. I stare at her picture and never see it, but it comes up so often that I guess I’m in denial or something. She’s super cute so I completely take it as a compliment, I just wish I could see it!

7. Sandra says

Did you get the mercury glass candle holders and the tea light holder from Keep Good Company in Lakeside, by any chance?

8. D says

So pretty and cheap! I always buy flowers from my local grocery store and split them b/w vases and wine bottles. There’s also a local wedding florist on the corner of my block that throws extra blooms into a barrel and sells them for cheap (spruces up a grocery store bouquet nicely!).