Pop Quiz: HomeGoods

Since we had so much fun a few weeks ago with this quiz from Ethan Allen, we thought we’d try another one on for size this week. This “StyleScope” quiz from HomeGoods (yes Sherry squealed when I revealed that it was created by her favorite accessory store) was actually shared by Stefanie on Twitter so we have her to thank for the fun.

But be sure to save some thanks for Deborah Needleman too. She created the quiz and you may recognize her as the founding editor-in-chief of Domino magazine (RIP). So you can imagine how high our hopes were for this analysis…

Unfortunately, I’d have to say it’s one of the more off-base results we’ve been given in a while. I was pegged as: Elegant Classic, which makes me picture someone serving tea in an evening gown (I can honestly say I’ve never experienced that, nor do I plan to). Some of the descriptions make a bit more sense (liking order, symmetry and timeless appeal) but most don’t sound very familiar at all (natural sense of drama, appreciation for family heirlooms – um, have you seen how much Ikea/Target/HomeGoods we own?). Maybe I got thrown off by all of the questions about entertaining (since that’s not something that we do a lot of- we’re too busy being blog nerds on nights and weekends).

Surprisingly (or perhaps not so surprisingly) Sherry also got the same Elegant Classic result. And she had the same initial hesitation that I did about the title. But her slightly altered description showed a bit more accuracy: valuing serenity, harmonious color palettes and respect for the environment. Her results continued to be different in some places (my design challenge: maximize; her challenge: organize) and exactly the same in others (we had the same “Happy Home” colors, which are somewhere near the neutral family that we both gravitate towards for the most part).

But enough about our results. Head over and take the HomeGoods StyleScope quiz yourself and let us know what you think of your results. Our fingers are crossed that they’re right on for you because we love HomeGoods a little too much around Casa Petersik and we’re hoping they nail it for someone, even if that lucky someone can’t be us (did I just hear Sherry sniffle from the other room?). Oh HomeGoods why have you forsaken mislabeled us?

Psst- Wanna take more fun (and possibly semi-accurate) decorating style quizzes? Here are a few oldie but goodies: Sproost, Ikea, Creative Youniverse.

Comments

1. Katie G says

These are so fun! I got “Earthy Casual.” I’m sure my husband will get the polar opposite of that, though :).

Hmm pretty accurate, actually. I got Country Classic, which is fitting. Also, my goal is Unify, which is tooootally what I need to do. I liked the quiz!

3. Nicole says

Mine is actually right on. It says I’m “Earthy Casual,” which to me was wrong until I read the description.

Earthy Casual – You’re interested in creating a welcoming home where people feel comfortable and happiness flourishes. You appreciate the warmth and individuality of natural materials and handcrafted things and are inspired by colors and forms from nature.

It’s all correct!

4. Samantha says

I got Glamourous Classic. Definitely do not agree! Maybe I’m down with the classic, but with a toddler who gets into EVERYTHING, I’m definitely not glamourous! :)

5. Jennifer M. says

Well,I got “bohemian classic”, which sounds awesome but is a mislabel for me, too…I’m not nearly that cool. It did say that my challenge was experimenting, though, so that was true enough!

6. Heather says

Heather, you are an Earthy Casual
    You’re interested in creating a welcoming home where people feel comfortable and happiness flourishes. You appreciate the warmth and individuality of natural materials and handcrafted things and are inspired by colors and forms from nature. You love mixing up different textures and are sensitive to the tactile qualities of objects. Your style is grounded and solid, not flighty or frilly. And you are never taken in by the trend of the moment.

You value order. You feel happiest if your home is well organized. You understand that when your house is in order, your mind feels clearer. Rather than a lot of meaningless objects or overly-designed items, you are happier with a few well-placed things. Your home is your respite from a busy life. Try to avoid letting things into your home that you don’t really love.

SPOT ON!! except for the Happy home colors which were an array of reds/pinks/lavander.
    My home is decorated in Blues, Greens, Tans, and Greys.

7. hallie says

I am Bohemian Casual… pretty accurate for me! Our home is cozy and a bit ecclectic!

“You are interested in creating a place where people feel relaxed. You have a variety of interests and influences and so appreciate different styles, cultures, and objects. Your home is cozy, with comfy chairs, throw pillows and places to set a drink or a book. But it also feels creative and visually intriguing, because you have an artist’s eye that allows you to find objects that appeal to you in a unique and personal way—whether from your travels or from a local shop. This gives your home a feeling of being laid-back, and maybe even a bit quirky with its mix of pieces—some of which are classic, some handmade, some ethnic, and some just rich in meaning to you.

You value serenity. While there are probably a lot of interesting things in your home, they are joined by your taste or a certain palette that keeps them in harmony. You appreciate the beauty in simple forms. Whether fancy or plain, you appreciate things that are well made and function as well as they look. You also have a strong respect for the environment and craftsmanship. You care about how things are made, and how they are used.”

I just took the quiz, and it was pretty right on – D R A M A T I C M O D E R N.

Sometimes the questions didn’t have an answer that was appropriate, so I had to pick one that made the most sense

9. Barbara says

Country Casual girl here which seems right on target. I’ve come a long way from just plain country. I’ve spent the past few years ‘undecorating’ and simplifying, heading towards a more calm atmosphere.

I’m interested in seeing how a baby will affect your decorating style.

10. Marin says

I was pegged as “Earthy Modern”. That sounds right to me!

I just took the IKEA style quiz and it also said I was “Modern.”

Thanks for posting the quizzes.

I got the exact same colors as you! As for the style, I think they got it pretty right:

you are a COUNTRY CASUAL

Your home expresses your open, easygoing approach to life. You love unique finds, and can turn a few mismatched garden chairs or floral teacups into a charming arrangement. You appreciate a pretty mix of relaxed pieces, like painted wood or weathered furniture, lovely florals and other patterns, lots of throws and pillows, mementos and bunches of fresh flowers that give your home a unique sense of breeziness and charm.

You value comfort. Your home is a warm and open friendly place, and you feel happiest when everyone is cared for and relaxed in your space. Elements like pillows, throws, overstuffed furniture, and good lighting set the mood. You may also enjoy layering different fabrics or mixing patterns to create a cozy effect.

12. Kristen says

I got “Earthy Casual” too, very fitting

Kristen, you are an Earthy Casual

Mine was perfect! I got “Country Classic” and I need to work on organizing – which my hubby would TOTALLY agree with. I thought this was definitely one of the better quizzes out there ;)

14. Rhiannon says

This is the first quiz that got me spot on! “Global Modern” I like a modern base with a lot of interesting accessories each with its own good story behind it.

Lots of fun for a Monday morning!