Archive for September, 2009
…let’s talk about you. During last year’s blogiversary extravaganza we polled our lovely readers to learn more about who they really are, and we thought that the beginning of year three marked the perfect time to do that again. So who the heck are you? And how you think we can amp up Young House Love in the coming year?
If ever there was a time to comment, it’s now. Please – no, pretty please – take two minutes to answer the questions below. And if you’ve never commented before or are unsure how, it’s easy. Just click the number in that green speech bubble to the right of this post’s title and scroll to the bottom of the page. Oh and real names and e-mail addresses aren’t required (feel free to make up something entertaining) so the pressure is off.
In a few days we’ll be back with a little summary of your comments (you know we like to read each and every one) so we can begin to formulate a bona fide plan to pimp Young House Love even more in year three. So without further ado, here’s what we’re dying to know:
- Who are you? Male/Female? Age? Location? Marital status? Any kids? Pets?
- How often do you read Young House Love? (Daily? Once a week? Whenever you have free time at work?)
- What are your favorite types of posts & why? (Easy DIY ideas? Before & after pictures? Design Dilemmas? Major home improvement undertakings? Videos? Something else?)
- What advice do you have for us to make YHL even better in year #3? (More of something in particular? Less of something else?)
- Is there a topic or other area of our lives you’d like us to talk about more frequently?
- Anything else you want us to know, or just gotta share with the world? (If you have a blog of your own, feel free to plug it here!)
Thanks in advance for your input! We really value your thoughts, comments and suggestions. After all, if it hadn’t been for last year’s poll we wouldn’t have known you guys wanted giveaways… which means no one would be winning $500 from Lowe’s this Friday!
As bloggers we answer plenty of questions (especially when they have to do with painting cabinets, upholstering headboards and hanging art). But we wanted to take some time out of this week’s blogiversary extravaganza to answer a different breed of question: the personal one. Taking a cue from some of our other favorite bloggers who opened themselves up to a little Q & A, we recently asked our readers on Facebook and Twitter to ask us anything, particularly things not about home improvement or the blog.
We ended up with some familiar queries (“will you two just have a baby already?” “have you been approached for a TV show?”) and some unexpected ones too (“do you ever swear?” “who is the messy one?”). Needless to say, they all kept us chattering away. So check out the video clip below for Part 1 of Getting To Know The Real Petersiks (there were so many questions we broke ‘em up into two videos, the next of which we’ll share next week) or catch it here on YouTube:
Did one of our answers spawn a new question? Or did you think of something else entirely that you just gotta ask? Leave your query as a comment and we just might end up filming a third installment someday. After all, we’re Chatty Cathys when you get us going…
Psst- Check out part two of this video right here.
***This giveaway is no longer accepting entries***
For our big two year blogiversary and we’re celebrating with one of the biggest freebies we’ve ever freebied: a $500 Lowe’s gift card.
Did that sink in yet? It still hasn’t for us. When we started hunting for the perfect blogiversary prize a few weeks ago we never thought we’d land something so exciting. It’s like Lowe’s is giving one of you the chance to take on a big project and they’re footing the bill. And we couldn’t be more thrilled to be giving it away.
We probably don’t need to remind you of all the items you could snag during a $500 shopping blitz at Lowe’s – paint, lighting, power tools, holiday decor, flooring. Heck, you could even get a new dishwasher or something. So in case you’re having any trouble picturing where you’d put five hundred Lowe’s dollars, allow us to lend our expertise (that is, our money-spending assistance). Here are a few items that we’ve got our eyes on:
This Idylis air purifier: Since the cold weather will have us closing up our windows and doors soon, the HEPA filter on this baby keeps indoor air from getting stale and could really help Sherry as we get into allergy season.
A new lawn mower: I know the season’s ending, but I’ve had it up to here (picture my hand above my head) with the used mower we bought when we moved back in 2006 (let’s just say it’s no longer self-propelling). Lowe’s online Mower Selector tool helped turn up a bunch of options that we could snag for well under 500 beans.
A cool bathroom sink: With a full bathroom redo moving closer to the top of our to-do list we’re already starting to fantasize about where we can add some special touches, like plopping a vessel sink on top of a thrifted piece of furniture-turned-vanity. And Lowe’s has a bunch of awesome vessel sink options.
I’ve also been contemplating adding some outdoor path lighting or taking our garage organization a step further with some more sophisticated shelving. But we’d better quit letting our minds wander because we’re not the ones who get the $500 gift card… one of you does! Here’s how:
- PRIZE: A $500 Lowe’s gift card (in case you forgot)
- TO ENTER: Comment on this post with the words “GIMME THAT $500″ (why dance around it, right?) and…
- BONUS QUESTION: Tell us what project you might spend the prize on. Surely we’re not the only ones daydreaming about where $500 could go (and no, we won’t be picking a winner based on this answer – it’ll still be random)
- CONTEST CLOSES: Thursday, September 24th at 8pm EST (that’s an extra day!)
- WINNER: One lucky lady or gent
- PRIZE SHIPS: Anywhere in the USA (but Lowe’s loving Canadians with friends or family in the states can enter and we’ll send it to your US relative/friend who can forward it on to you).
- THE USUAL: One entry per e-mail address is permitted. The winner will be selected using random.org and announced on Thursday. Good luck!