Window Shopping: Golly Gee Anthropologie…

… you sure have been full of lovely eye candy lately. Don’t think we didn’t notice.

In fact, here’s a round-up of the stuff that we loved so much we just had to share. And the good news is that many Anthro ideas can be DIYed on the cheap. Take these pretty numbered canisters for instance. Couldn’t you see yourself stenciling on numbers a la these?

And if you don’t want to lift a finger, these guys are only five bucks a pop, so they won’t break the bank. We could see them holding everything from sea salt and other spices to bathroom stuff like cotton balls and q-tips. They would also look super cute anywhere from a mantel to a windowsill as decorative objects that display a meaningful number (like your anniversary, house number, etc).

We also couldn’t tear our eyes away from this amazing DIY mantel.

All you need for your own made-it-myself version are some light pine boards cut to varying lengths and stained a variety of tones for a layered and lovely look. We also think the sides would look super finished if they were stained the darkest tone for a polished effect. Of course it would be safer to do this project to create a non-working fireplace (or over an existing non-working one) where you burn candles occasionally as opposed to giant flaming logs.

And in other fireplace related news, we love the idea of grabbing some super long matches and storing them in a glass container like this next to a working fireplace.

Gotta love something decorative and functional. Of course you can tuck a piece of sandpaper in the jar to use as a striking strip, and places like Target or Walmart sell those jumbo glass containers for under $8.

Then there are these amazing nautical burlap pillows. Sigh.

You may want to stencil on your own anchor to get the look, or even cut one out of navy fabric and sew it onto a burlap pillow for a similar effect. We also love the red diagonally striped pillows, so anything from red ribbon to adding stripes with fabric paint could recreate the mouthwatering mix on a dime.

And we can’t forget this other genius use of burlap that had us lusting for about fifty yards of the stuff. How great would household art looked matted on burlap instead of a blank white mat? Love that texture.

And we can’t walk through Anthroplogie without smiling at their assortment of monogrammed mugs. They make such great personalized gifts for just $6 a pop, and you can fill them with candy or colored pencils or anything else the giftee might enjoy.

Best of all, there’s no gift wrapping necessary. We add any little “filler” like candy or hot cocoa mix, leave them right in the chic little Anthro bag with their pretty tissue paper and hand ’em over right in the original packaging. People never fail to squeal that they love Anthropologie and it feels nice and special without having to splurge for pricey packaging or create extra waste. Every little eco act counts, right?

And of course we had to snap a photo of one of their $12 ceramic egg crates…

… since I bought something similar years ago in NYC and still use it to organize my jewelry to this day.

You know me and white ceramic things. It’s a sickness, people.

So in summary: Thanks for the memories (and the inspiration) Anthropologie. I’m sure we’ll be back soon to drool some more. What about you guys. Have you spotted any Anthro must-haves or items that have you inspired to DIY something of your own? Snagged anything else at another store that has you weak in the knees? Do tell.

Note: No Youngsters were paid or otherwise rewarded by Anthropologie for this post. We’re just loving their wares these days and wanted to share a few of our favorite things with you.

Comments

1. Tyler says

I’m so happy to see the bronze, leafy frame on the left! On our one year anniversary my husband used that to frame his proposal “speech” printed on our wedding invitation stationary as a gift to me. Awwwww….

Funny, I have the Anthro site open in another window! I’m a big fan of their monogram mugs too but never thought to give them as gifts. What an easy idea.

I’m really loving their animal inspired hardware right now, in particular the owl coat hook. Boyfriend and I love owls, so I’m thinking of getting two for our robes when we move in together (three weeks away now!).

And maybe trade in my pink glass drawer pulls for something a little more gender neutral… :)

I swear I could buy the whole store (if I had a gazillion bucks of course). We just got our first Anthropologie in the area and it’s already bad for my pocketbook. I actually asked for a gift card from there for my birthday from my husband this year. I actually posted today about Anthropologie shoes – love everything about that store! PS -Every time I see that white egg crate holder in the store I think about you guys!

4. Lisa in Seattle says

We blew through Anthropologie like Hurricane Agnes this weekend! Picked up the cute Feast of Beasts dessert plates because they had a squirrel and deer, and the brass hooks with a squirrel and deer, and door knobs with (wait for it) squirrels, plus our initials in several different materials. I had to put my head between my legs a few times and they *still* separated us from a couple hundred bucks. They’re not exactly a thrift store. It’s a good thing they’re really inconvenient to visit or I’d just have my paycheck deposited directly.

Those mugs are cute, and I’d love to snag an egg crate! Sniffle, Anthropologie is another dearly missed store that don’t have available on the island ~ but it is definitely on my list of must stop at places when we visit the mainland ~ along with Ikea, Pottery Barn, etc :) You should’ve seen me when Target opened here in March, it was craziness! I mean, who doesn’t have a Target? Oahu, apparantly :) Keep up the good work! :)

6. Christin says

I had never heard of Anthropologie until I started reading your blog. I was at our local mall the other day and saw that an Anthropolgie is coming! I’m very excited to check it out. :)

OMG! I love Anthropologie, but it usually was a guilty pleasure that I got to indulge in when we went on vacation because we don’t have one in Memphis. However, we are getting our first one soon, so I can’t wait to get inspiration from the store.

I have been loving the burlap pillow trend lately, too! I think I might have to go out and get some iron-on decals to put on some plain pillowcases :)

8. Millie says

One of my best friends has a part time gig at Anthro…just so she can get a discount. It actually works out pretty well, she only works one weekend or so a month, and then spends all the money she makes on fun stuff with a big discount. Plus, as her friends, we get some pretty sweet Christmas gifts out of the deal. Yay!

i absolutely love this store and used to live merely minutes from one. now it’s a couple hours drive to the one in the bay area. ho-hum. in all honesty, it’s probably better that way.

Those different color candle sticks on the fire place…how cool are those!!!

What better store is there when you can find super cute clothes AND accessories for your home!

11. elizabeth says

i’ve been lusting after their ‘capri’ quilt by john robshaw…sadly, i don’t think i can diy that one.