Burning Question: Resolution Roundup

We’ve only recently become resolution people, but oh how quickly Sherry and I have embraced this New Year’s tradition. We’ll spare you all of the personal “improvements” that we’re going to tackle in oh-nine, but we do have a couple of home related resolutions on our list. I, for one, want to tap into my inner carpenter this year and build something – even if it’s just a few flower boxes for the front porch (and the back windows above the patio if Sherry has her way). And Sherry’s making a resolution to hone her entertaining skills by having more friends over for dinner, game nights, etc.

How ’bout you guys? Are you into the whole resolution thing? If so, we wanna know what yours are- especially if they involve any home improvement projects or DIY skillz that you’ve been itching to break out. And who knows, maybe writing them here for all to see will help everyone stick to ’em a little better. Here’s hoping we do…

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for your resolution replies! We’re definitely inspired- and rooting for all of you. Oh and Katie, you’re totally invited for a sleepover! We can have pillow fights and admire paint chips. And maybe our guys can work on those window boxes…

Same here! All my resolutions are “To Do” house-related and I just listed on my blog as well. I hope that having it in writing will motivate me to cross items (all 56 of them!)off the list.

2. Alyssa says

Happy New Year! Can’t wait to read all about your flower boxes. They are also on my wish list, but I just can’t bring myself to dish out the $$ to buy pre-made ones. I know yours will be just perfect!

3. DJ says

I’m on board with the to do list for home repairs and improvements. I’d like to finally finish my project of painting all the baseboards and doors in the basement… it’s a dark space and a former owner chose a pale puce for the walls and a dark puce for the baseboards/doors.

The walls are now sky blue, which looks hideous next to dark puce. And about half of the baseboards and doors are now a nice glossy white. But I got tired of the job and stopped halfway through in September when I ran out of paint.

Well, first of all, that is a very pretty window box!

secondly, once a year, we get together with friends and play games (we are NOT game people), but we have a lot of fun, so good luck to both of you! :-)

Happy New Years!

ok ok – I will come over Sherry…but the drive is gonna kill us so prepare for that sleepover. Don’t worry…we can sleep on those lush new floors, we don’t mind :)

great resolutions btw! can’t wait to see them in action!

6. kenn rogers says

Hi John and Sherry

I am making a resolution to learn more skills in the woodworking area. It would be cool if you did a tutorial on the window boxes so we all could join along.

Another resolution I have is to be more creative and to stretch my ideas of creativity. I was wondering if you guys would like to join a flickr group I am starting. It is a group of six paricipants from all over who take a theme each month and then interpret the theme in their own way ie pink, entertaining, dried up, or hot. Let me know if the two of you would be interested in the school of creativity, let me know.

Happy New Year

7. Cecily T says

Hi, I just started reading your blog, and I love it. Not sure if I’ve peeped up yet in the comments or not.

All of the above is relevant to me…last year hubby and I made a ‘101 things in 1001 days’, which was the meme for last year’s resolutions. It works out to about 2.75 years. We are at a time when it’s hard to see that far out, but we are getting there. The rule with ours is that they have to be concrete, (e.g., make a scrapbook for our daughter’s first year, 12 sets of pages, not ‘I should scrapbook more’).

For entertaining, I put on there to host my family 5 times, and to host events (e.g., chocolate and wine party, a board game night, and Rock Band night, etc).

We moved in to our house about 2 years ago, and it’s got minimal decoration. Unfortunately (and fortunately, by turns), it’s new construction, only about 8 years old. We had a lovely, if tiny 1950s house that we completely made over before moving out. It had real plaster walls and the original moulding was still around, and had only ever been stained. (Swoon, especially since our baseboards now are of the barely-more-than-a-two-by-four design). Since we moved in, I’ve basically been either pg or caring for a newborn, but my hubby and brother have been busy finishing the basement, so we are in the home stretch for that. After that, we are looking at corralling the little one’s toys with her own corner in the living room, and finally (please!) getting some curtains in our bedroom.

In terms of design, we are in the middle of trying to move somewhere less ‘busy’. I’m loving the clean look, but just can’t seem to get there. It’s all about editing, I suppose.

8. Kerry says

I’d love to paint my dark brown kitchen cabinets to a nice whitish color. Of course I’m pretty much paralyzed by indecision on what color and whether I’ll actually be able to do it or not, but it’s on my wish list…

And if I do it, you can be sure I’ll be following your tutorial!

i’ve never really been a resolution person. it seems to me we ought to just make changes in our life when we realize we need to rather than wait for the new year. that said, i do have some goals i’ll be working on this year but i try to make them measurable so it’s possible to complete them.

Well, last year I declared 2008 “the year of living frugally.” Turns out, having to call the plumber over on January 1 (!) should have been an omen. After that it was one unexpected expense after another. I should have kept a list. This year I have resisted declaring 2009 “the year of…” I hope it will be prosperous, filled with DIY projects in the house and time spent with family and friends…and lots of inspiration from blogs like yours!

11. elizabeth says

We have a project list more than official resolutions. Here are a few…Finally paint the outside doors/windows (and send in pics to YHL), build a pergola, paint/organize the dog room, relocate the washer/dryer, add built in storage, get curtains and accessories, finish our bedroom so we can send in more “after” pics, raise our kitchen cabinets and add open shelf. We are off to a good start though, b/c we spent the weekend cleaning out clutter from our guest room and attic!