Burning Question: Down Boy?

A recent comment on an older post got us wondering: what’s your policy when it comes to pets on the furniture? Do you think all four-legged friends belong on the floor? Or do you welcome them on the sofa for some family snuggling? This debate raged on over at Decorno last month, so we thought we’d get your take too.

The Casa Petersik stance is pretty obvious…

We might feel differently if Burger were 10 times bigger or a bit less polite (at barely 9 pounds and after thirty obedience classes, he’s no longer a threat to our furnishings). But we completely understand why my sister’s 70 pound pooch is banned from her new Crate & Barrel sofa (and know they don’t love him any less for sweetly setting boundaries for their fur baby). Where do you guys stand when it comes to man’s best friend and man’s favorite furnishings? Dish the doggie (and kitty) dirt.

1. elizabeth says

We used to allow our pets on the furniture with permission (couches, not beds), but since getting a new couch, we have banned them from the sofa. Occasionally, we will allow one or two of them to snuggle up with us on the couch, and very occasionally, we will let them get in the bed (usually on the day we are planning on washing the sheets). With 4 hairy, big dogs, our couch collects an amazing amount of fur even though they don’t sit on it!!

2. Kim says

The cat has full rein on the house! Counter tops to tops of the cabniets to beds, tables and couches. The dog is allowed on the bed but not on the couch. The bed has a blanket down so she can’t ruin the duvet.

We have a 4lb Yorkie and he’s like our kid, of course we let him on all of the furniture! I can’t imagine him not being able to snuggle with us on the couch, etc. However, I think if we had a larger dog we would be less likely to allow them on the furniture. I think it all depends on the size of the pet, how much it sheds, and how well behaved it is!

4. sarah says

we have two and they have a pretty free run of the house. both are well behaved on the furniture and have hair, not fur so they shed hair about as much as I do. plus they’re small (under 30 lbs). If I did have a big dog, they would not be allowed on the furniture!

5. Anna says

the policy in our house is the dog gets to come onto the couch only if we invite her. She then takes reign of it when we aren’t home, or when we are in bed.
    No dogs on the bed, EVER, in our house. we keep the bedroom doors closed at all times to make sure this happens. something about sleeping in a hair-blaknet (ours is a big shedder) turns me off of a midnight snuggle.

6. Brooke says

My 80lb lab mix knows to wait for an invitation up on the couch or bed, and she also knows she is only allowed up there if there’s a blanket down. (She’s not allowed directly on the couch or on the comforter, in other words.) I figure my entire place is going to get covered in dog hair anyway- why not enjoy some doggie cuddling?

All furniture is off limits for those with four legs. We have two labs, so allowing them inside is a splurge enough for me (the furry tumbleweeds on the floor are about all i can handle). And since all of our bedrooms are upstairs, there’s a strict no upstairs policy as well. They know the rules to a T, so we’ve never had a problem.

I’d love to keep my cats off of everything but the floor but they feel differently about it. I can’t keep them off of anything. Stubborn animals they are. If I had a dog though I couldn’t imagine sitting on the sofa without them in my lap.

9. Marta says

My father always says that the dog owners can be devided into two categories: the ones that sleep with their dogs and those who do not admit to that.
    They have to Amstaff’s and believe me or not that four of them sleep on one bed:) A real pet lover will always let his beloved dog sleep/wander wherever the dog wants;)

10. Nichole says

We have two yellow Labs that are each between 75 and 80 pounds. We have never allowed them on the furniture even though they have free reign of the house and stay inside whenever we’re gone. They are not outdoor dogs. The amount of fur and their body oils would ruin things even though they get regular baths. My little sister used to invite them on the guest bed for a cuddle whenever she came to stay, but I had to put a stop to it after Thanksgiving because the 9 year old finally decided his old bones needed the bed even when not invited. I have since bought him a Beasley’s Couch and he is very happy:)
    On an interesting and related note, I read in Health magazine last year that doctors see an increased incidence of UTIs in their female patients who sleep with pets (I can’t remember if it was dogs and cats or just dogs).

Marta at 2:22, I love that quote! We have a 50-lb lab mix named Jake who, when we first rescued him from the shelter, had impeccable manners and was a floor-only dog. This is my husband’s first pet (at age 27) so over time HE was the one who invited Jake first onto the couch, and now onto the bed! I don’t mind, though, and Jake’s good manners are still evident — he either waits to be invited or makes a polite request with a “grunkle” (this is what we call the noise he makes in his throat when he needs something — snuggles, a potty break, or dinner).

non-issue. our doggies (2 mini doxies) are our children and are welcome anywhere. They sleep with us as well. This does make it quuuuite difficult when we visit my in-laws where his mother is on pins and needles with every motion the animals make. and we must constantly wrangle them away fromt he furniture. they just don’t get what the big deal is (and personally, neither do i!)

13. Grace says

We have a cat and he’s not allowed on the kitchen counters or our dining room table. He’s allowed to get up on our furniture but he’s definitely not allowed in our baby’s nursery. Old wives’ tale or not, the thought of my cat somehow getting into the crib with my infant gives me the heebies.