Burning Question: Float Your Boat?

Another burning question for you guys: what do you think about floating a bed in the middle of a room? Is it serene and stylish or just plain strange?

Hmmm, I guess it depends on the layout of the room, but it does seem/look a bit off. Even with a rug underneath to “anchor” the bed, it just doesn’t do it for me. Looks like the person’s just moved in and doesn’t know where to put the bed….

2. Anna says

I’m into it. Especially in a studio apartment. It says, “Yeah, it’s a studio. You got a problem with that? Just accept that we’re going to sit on the bed when we hang out and stop being uncomfortable about it.”

3. Anna says

Oh, and I totally disagree that the above picture looks like they didn’t know where to put the bed. I think that looks like one of the deliberate furniture placements I’ve ever seen. Very bold. Very intentional.

This is one thing I have a very strong opinion on – and not for design reasons. . . in fact in the right setting a floating bed can look wonderful, but I would never ever ever ever float a bed. . .

I watched way too many scary movies when I was little, and the thought that someone could sneak up behind me when I am in bed would keep me awake at night. . . but that’s just me, and I’m a little off

5. Jackie says

I think it can look great, depending on the room. But I’m much too practial. I never see a night stand next to these floating beds, and I always wonder…where do you keep the alarm clock, lamp, and book? :o)

There are way too many things going on in this room to have a bed placed in the middle of the room. Is it just me, or does it look like there are two love seats on either side of the bed. What do you do? Have people come over, sit in the love seats and then have them watch you get into bed. That doesn’t work in my mind. If it was a studio apartment that would be one thing, but in almost any other situation I find it odd.

7. Jess says

I agree with Jackie. We use our night stands every single night for our books, alarm clock, to lay my glasses, etc. and our lamps for reading.

I think it’s really cool mainly because you don’t see it that often. It’s right up there with the floating tub…who says it has to stay up against a wall?

9. Kelli says

If I had a large enough bedroom, I wouldn’t rule it out. But for a space-challenged room, it just wouldn’t be an option!

While I’m generally a furniture floater, I don’t think I could get used to a bed floating in the middle of the room. I like that a bed against the wall feels grounded, comfortable and safe.

11. Emilee says

I think it works, but only because this particular bed is a very solid bed. I wouldn’t like it with an open ironwork bed, for example. However, who has a bedroom large enough to do it?

In general, I’m not really a fan of floating a bed, unless its a sofa-style day bed. It’s not that I don’t think it “works,” it’s more that it doesn’t mesh with my personal sense of style. I did see someone do a floating bed I really loved where the headboard was anchored by a dresser, and floating the bed created a dressing area, but generally, it’s just not something that would work for me.

13. Elizabeth says

I think it works in lofts, studios, or very large bedrooms. Do y’all think it’s weird to have a full-sized bed as a daybed? I’d like to find a bed similar to the one you pictured in a twin to use as a daybed in our guest room. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to find a bed like that in twin that will accomodate a trundle that pops up. Any ideas?