A Case of Elephantitis

The June issue of R Home (Richmond Magazine’s home-related offspring) had a great little story about a woman who stumbled upon a Knoll Bertoia Side Chair last year for a mere 25 bucks, far below its usual $500 retail price. This too-good-to-be-true mecca where designer pieces sell for average-joe prices? The ASID White Elephant Auction & Sale. So when this annual event stampeded back into town this past weekend, we were up bright and early on Saturday to be among the first ones there.

The ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) White Elephant Sale is basically a collection of leftovers – furniture, accessories, paint, fabric – from professional interior design projects. Think of it as a neighborhood yard sale, except that all of your neighbors have pretty good taste.

Not to kill the suspense, but we didn’t buy anything. Despite being there right at 8am, it seemed most of the pieces that we typically drool over were sold the previous night at the silent auction – like this sleek wooden credenza (which we overheard sold for $45!) that was waiting to be picked up… taunting us.

The sale benefited the Richmond chapter of Habitat for Humanity, so we got to learn more about the Habitat ReStore, which reader Ashley first mentioned to us last week. We didn’t make it to the ReStore this weekend, but are expecting great things after seeing the spread at their booth. And their creative use of an old window officially won us over:

Next year we’ll try to get the word out BEFORE the White Elephant Sale so our local readers can check it out too. Just as long as ya promise not to top any of our bids at the silent auction. Do we have a deal?

Comments

I didn’t come to the old post to comment but I do have to say that because of you guys, I learned about the Habitat ReStore and also really wish we had a White Elephant event like this in Florida! How cool!

2. Amy says

I came here several years ago after searching “backyard wedding”. I loved everything you did for your wedding, stole some of your ideas, and stayed for the fun! Thank you for making the last several years a blast! <3

3. Jenny says

ha ha! for once I am at the top of the comment list. I think resales are awesome but seems the items here were kinda pricy.

4. Carrie says

BAH! I should not have looked at this post. That credenza is exactly what I have been looking for to put on the dining side of the living room (I still can’t figure out what to call a dining room/living room combo.). Now I am pouting because no matter how I look I can’t find what I want and can afford. :)

5. Lena says

LMAO!!!! I love the title, it actually made me snort laugh at work…I just had to check out what you meant by “unfortunately titled post about a local white elephant sale” I haven’t even gotten to the end of the post yet, I just wanted to see the title. Very funny and yes slightly unfortunante :-)
    And at least people have posted on it now.

6. Anne-ASID VA Chapter Member! says

PS! The ASID White Elephant sale continues in ROANOKE VA. The next event will be August 14th 2013!! You can follow the event on Facebook (The ASID Designer White Elephant Sale | Southwest Virginia)to scope out what will be up for auction a little closer to the event! Come join us!