Silver Bells (And Pigs)

Is Christmas in the air or what? Now that it’s our second “winter” in Richmond we’re used to the milder temperatures and the fact that some of our annuals are actually still blooming. But even though there’s been no morning frost (let alone snow) as of yet, we still hear the Christmas songs on the radio and see the Christmas trees at Lowe’s so we know that the 25th of December is just around the corner.

And we’ve come up with a fun ornament theme for our tree this year that makes us feel mucho sophisticado: all silver. Not stuffy sterling silver ornaments or anything, just a firm rule that anything silver goes.

Silver Ornaments

We already picked up some fun mirrored disco ball ornaments at CB2 and found the coolest silver starburst ornament at Z Gallerie while we were in NYC last weekend. And Target has been a great resource for silver balls of all sizes along with some fun shapes like a silver piggy bank ornament and a mini Empire State Building to hang in honor of our old hometown.

Anyone who’s asked us what we’d like for Christmas knows about our special ornament request, so hopefully our tree will be noticably more full of silver ornaments of all shapes and sizes by next year. I actually read something that said that the perfect number of ornaments for a six foot tree is 120-140. So far we only have about 40, so we better get cracking!

Comments

I actually came across your blog from a fellow photographer’s blog. :-) Funny thing is, I’m in Richmond too! I had to look twice at your house because it looks really similar to our first house! Of course it’s not hte same house but the rooms inside sure looked like our first house!

2. YoungHouseLove says

So nice to run into a fellow Richmonder! Where was your first house located? We’re in Bon Air with a lot of other 50 year old brick ranch homes so we’re doing our best to make ours stand out… in a good way of course. So glad you found your way to our site!

Sherry

It was actually out in the westend, it was a white brick rancher, built in the 60s. That’s why the layout looked so much like yours! Big bay window in the front room, wood floors, IDENTICAL bathrooms. haha

Your house is very pretty and I LOVE the landscaping in the yard!

4. YoungHouseLove says

Thanks! The landscaping in the front and back was one of the main selling points (along with the huge acre lot). It’s so funny that you also had a brick ranch built in the 60’s. Those bathrooms need help, huh?! I keep telling John that I’d die for a master bathroom with a double sink, but I guess we’ll have to deal with what we have for now. Hopefully our new kitchen will keep us happy for a good while!

Sherry

5. Heather Canova says

I love the silver theme. We have several silver ornaments on our tree and they look the best because they reflect the tiny white lights really well. I found these really cute silver icicle ornaments at target that I think you’d love. You get so many for really cheap.

6. YoungHouseLove says

The silver icicle ornaments sound fab. We can’t wait to check them out next time we’re at Target (which, in all likelyhood will be tonight since we practically live there). Thanks H!

Sherry